Can I feed my chickens fresh fish guts??

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Hello BYC friends,
Has anyone experience with feeding chickens raw fish guts? I have 3 beautiful, whole soho salmon we caught this weekend and would love for the chickens to enjoy some too. The heads and guts will go into a 5gallon bucket. Now what??? The garden may like some too if anyone knows anything about that. I would hate to waste the 'scraps' when i know they are beneficial to something 😃 I'm gonna do some research, but really, wonder about what bits I can give the chickens.

Attachments

• 19CA6F16-A831-4096-91C0-CBA438E2AA01.jpeg
    19CA6F16-A831-4096-91C0-CBA438E2AA01.jpeg
    1,022 KB · Views: 45
  • 4EEC3AAC-9611-4B7F-B649-4DD998EBDAA1.jpeg
    4EEC3AAC-9611-4B7F-B649-4DD998EBDAA1.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 5
you can definitely bury it in a hole and it will compost down pretty quickly (but at least 30cm deep to avoid being dug up) but no idea about chickens. would be great if they could have some!

Absolutely. My birds get what I can't get off the goat carcasses I process, as well. Pick it clean.

You ARE introducing a potential disease vector, since the fish come from off your property, but the risk is relatively low (not a lot of things jump from fish to poultry), which you can further mitigate by cooking (if desired).

Basic risk management.

Absolutely. My birds get what I can't get off the goat carcasses I process, as well. Pick it clean.

You ARE introducing a potential disease vector, since the fish come from off your property, but the risk is relatively low (not a lot of things jump from fish to poultry), which you can further mitigate by cooking (if desired).

Basic risk management.
Excellent to read. Thank you for sharin' your knowledge U_Storm. They were very curious and loved playing with the fish eggs more than anything.

Basic risk management.
I thought about giving part of a deer carcass to my flock but thought better of it bc potential to lure in a predator.
How do you manage to avoid that with the goat carcass? portable electric fence, maybe?

I thought about giving part of a deer carcass to my flock but thought better of it bc potential to lure in a predator.
How do you manage to avoid that with the goat carcass? portable electric fence, maybe?
@U_Stormcrow may have it inside a coop, or do general clean-up afterwards.
good to know that chickenbs (why is the B there?) like to eat fish. I might just try giving mine a treat tomorrow!

My pasture is roughly 5 acres of electric fence. Definitely NOT portable. But yes, that would work.

Back
Top Bottom