Rats! I have rats.

I had rats once... I got cats instead.. feed them very little... now no rats, mice, chipmunks, only a few squirrels..

Cheap and easy rat control.. my cats are barn cats so I never have to touch them.. nor them touch me,, suits us all.. the perfect symbiotic relationship!

That’s good that you were able to find some cats. My neighbors were adopted by a kitten that walked out of the neighboring corn field when they were out working in their yard. We aren’t expecting too much from 1 cat, but don’t have a big enough space or yard for 10 cats either! My youngest would love the possibility of 10 cats! We’ve had the kitten for 2 months, and she has acclimated well.

cats are independent animals. if they think there are too many of them some of them leave. unfortunately even if you have 1 only he/she might leave. where I lived before I had cats who gave birth in my (huge) garage. there were times I had 10+ cats till they found people who fed them tastier food. I fed them dry cat's food. I was left with 1 faithful male cat only, lol. but they were passing by and catching mice and rats. I never took care of where they sleep. some even slept with my dogs, lol.

Well, I don't have cats but I do have poison and I haven't seen one rat since they took the bait about 4 days ago. I found one dead one but the others have just "disappeared". I think I may still have one big one that can't fit through the hardware cloth I haven't seen him, but it doesn't appear that he's eaten any bait that's in his area. Hopefully he's not dieting so he can squeeze through the tunnels.

How long do you think I need to continue to feed them wet food twice a day? It's a lot less convenient and the girls definitely are giving me dirty looks. On the other hand I don't want to switch back too soon and be back to square one. Opinions??

Well, I don't have cats but I do have poison and I haven't seen one rat since they took the bait about 4 days ago. I found one dead one but the others have just "disappeared". I think I may still have one big one that can't fit through the hardware cloth I haven't seen him, but it doesn't appear that he's eaten any bait that's in his area. Hopefully he's not dieting so he can squeeze through the tunnels.

How long do you think I need to continue to feed them wet food twice a day? It's a lot less convenient and the girls definitely are giving me dirty looks. On the other hand I don't want to switch back too soon and be back to square one. Opinions??

I wish you well..hopefully they don’t have any little rat eggs that will hatch and reinfest you in 10 days!!!:lau:lau:gig:gig

All this trouble and in the end you are modifying your feeding routine to end the problem and the problem will re erupt after you go back to giving the birds free choice feed. Hanging feeders do not work. A proper treadle feeder with a counterweight, spring loaded door, and a proper feed lip on the inside will fix the rat problem. Howard already linked to my feeder and he was 100% right about following the instructions for installing if you expect it to work and I would add that it is important to follow the assembly and training instructions as well. We have videos up on everything and there are hundreds of reviews up. There is one from a guy that travels with a pack of terriers cleaning up organic farms and he wrote that he is way behind he will recommend they start using our feeders and has yet to visit the place after recommending our feeders as our feeders did the trick.

Remove the access to the feed and stop most of the feed spillage and the rats will find another home in less than a week. As Howard pointed out already, hungry rats will eat rat poison bait so use both methods if you want quicker results.

Most people have no idea how close the average chicken is to disease and death. Read up on poultry disease, most diseases are already present but being held at bay by a healthy bird's immune system. When you stress a bird by moving it or limiting its feed or having vermin around those bugs kick in and can wipe out an entire flock within days.

Follow the instructions. Don't try to use logic with chickens or think you know more than we do about assembling, installing, and training the birds to use the feeders. If you have problems, 99% of the time when people email for help they didn't follow the instructions or didn't understand the instructions. Howard's tip about having it rock solid attached to a wall with the treadle bottomed out on a patio block is the biggest problem people run into. Restrict ALL feed, clean up any spilled feed, no free range, no sitting the birds on the feeder or blocking the door open! The birds will learn once they are hungry.

Curious as to the brand of poison used as iv'e seen a few posts saying the blocks weren't being eaten.
Anyone interested or anyone who needs an attractive bait that works and is always eaten should try Talon-g.
You'll have to order it, they don't sell it at lowes or home depot but it is good stuff.
It gives them just enough time to go back home to peter out so you don't have a bunch of zombie rats running around.

This is what I use and I find a dead rat once in awhile. I had an infestation in one of the coops until I renovated it. Haven't seen a rat in quite awhile. The bait that came with the bait box didn't work as well as this bait did. I do have hanging 40# feeders in my coops.
RatBait.jpg RatBaitStation.jpg

Sorry for your problem. I had a rat infestation and they chewed the wires in my cars. Luckily I got rat snakes that took care of the problem. I could not use poison because of my pets. I love those snakes. They do take an egg sometimes.

This is what I use and I find a dead rat once in awhile. I had an infestation in one of the coops until I renovated it. Haven't seen a rat in quite awhile. The bait that came with the bait box didn't work as well as this bait did. I do have hanging 40# feeders in my coops.
View attachment 1650557 View attachment 1650558

I’ve seen “just one bite” mentioned many times in relation to rats, but not a single store in my area carries this. Where have you gotten them?

Back
Top Bottom