Random death all found in same spot

MotherOfChickenss

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2022
Hi all!

For the past few months I’ve found 4 chickens dead inside the coop. 3/4 have all been found in the same corner of their coop. At first I didn’t think much of it as my girls are getting old but today I found the third one in the same spot. As far as pests, I’ve never witnessed anything other than your occasional rats. The chickens don’t seem to have been attacked, no blood, nothing. I’m at a loss, has anyone else ever experienced this?

How big is your coop?? Square footage. Could just be coincidence. :idunno What breed of chickens do you have?? You mentioned that you think your chickens are getting old. How OLD? Different breeds live different lengths of time. Sex-links, and other hybrids tend to live considerably shorter lives, compared to Heritage breeds.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

How big is your coop?? Square footage. Could just be coincidence. :idunno What breed of chickens do you have?? You mentioned that you think your chickens are getting old. How OLD? Different breeds live different lengths of time. Sex-links, and other hybrids tend to live considerably shorter lives, compared to Heritage breeds.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,aMy coop is pretty big the run being 20’x 6’ feet (roughly) and that doesn’t include the 8’ x 8’ coop with nesting boxes.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Roughly, the run is about 20’ x 7’ and the coop portion with nesting boxes is 7’ x 7’. The chickens were inherited with the home. They were well established and laying when I bought my home 2 years ago. I JUST had another drop during the night!

Attachments

• IMG_0923.jpeg
    IMG_0923.jpeg
    743.8 KB · Views: 2
Roughly, the run is about 20’ x 7’ and the coop portion with nesting boxes is 7’ x 7’. The chickens were inherited with the home. They were well established and laying when I bought my home 2 years ago. I JUST had another drop during the night!
As far as breeds I have road island reds and Easter eggers (I’m assuming).

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

It's hard to know why a hen died unless further examination is made. A necropsy through your State Lab would give you the most information.
Alternatively, if you are up to it, you can perform your own informal necropsy to see if you find something like reproductive problems, liver disease, etc. If you do that, then post photos and we'll try to help you with what you see.

You mention they are getting older. Were the ones that died still laying eggs? Have you been finding any soft shelled eggs or lash eggs? Any indication of lice/mites, worms, lethargy, crops not emptying, etc.?

What do you feed, including treats?

Back
Top Bottom