Raising A Baby Zebra Finch

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Okay so, I have 2 Zebra Finches. I've only owned 3 finches so far, including these two. (Poot and Pikachu) My last female could never hatch out anything, but I still loved her of course. Poot once hatched out 2 chicks, they nipped the first one, and threw it out of the nest, and it died in my hands. I knew there was no way I would be able to incubate the second egg. It was nearly ready to hatch, so I just carefully dissected it.. It survived around a day and a half of me feeding it and caring for it. I guess it just wasn't strong enough. Now of course they layed 3 new eggs and Pikachu clearly wants to hatch out some chicks because he's always on them. But last time he and Poot hatched them out, they were really bad parents. I have a small incubator. Most of the time, I think they just sit on them until they develop veins, and then they leave them. How do people get experience raising baby birds? I want to try, but I know it's very difficult. In this case it's not right as it being "practice" because every baby that dies is a life wasted. I know it takes ALOT of commitment to raise such tiny babies, but I would like to be able to be ready next time, just in case... So that more lives don't have to be wasted. :( If any of you have any tips, thanks in advance.

It's labour intensive and not without its shares of sorrows but if it's that or the chick dies anyway at least you have given it a chance. It's much easier from 10 days old as you can get away with feeding them every 2 hours. New hatchlings need 45min - 1 hourly feeds as only half their crop is open at that age. As they get older the other side starts to open. I left mine 5 hours overnight and that seemed like an ok length of time (but it's pretty tiring). The biggest challenge is finding something to feed them with that they can't latch onto and swallow (which is where I went wrong when I tried saving some little ones).

I think finches can take a few tries to get the parenting bit right. The nipping at the chick I have discovered is what they will do instinctively to get the chick to beg. I've got two Society finches I hand reared from 2 weeks old and they've helped me get Java finch chicks begging and feeding, and that is what they do to try and get that begging response. Unfortunately (like my Java finch father who has never gotten better) your two took it to the extreme, or just straight out didn't know what to do next. Hopefully it's just inexperience on their part.

This is a good site for indepth instructions.
http://www.birdsnways.com/articles/spenser.htm

It's labour intensive and not without its shares of sorrows but if it's that or the chick dies anyway at least you have given it a chance. It's much easier from 10 days old as you can get away with feeding them every 2 hours. New hatchlings need 45min - 1 hourly feeds as only half their crop is open at that age. As they get older the other side starts to open. I left mine 5 hours overnight and that seemed like an ok length of time (but it's pretty tiring). The biggest challenge is finding something to feed them with that they can't latch onto and swallow (which is where I went wrong when I tried saving some little ones).

I think finches can take a few tries to get the parenting bit right. The nipping at the chick I have discovered is what they will do instinctively to get the chick to beg. I've got two Society finches I hand reared from 2 weeks old and they've helped me get Java finch chicks begging and feeding, and that is what they do to try and get that begging response. Unfortunately (like my Java finch father who has never gotten better) your two took it to the extreme, or just straight out didn't know what to do next. Hopefully it's just inexperience on their part.

This is a good site for indepth instructions.
http://www.birdsnways.com/articles/spenser.htm

Thank you. Hopefully it was. Pikachu has tried to be a good dad many times but he just doesn't get it. If they do manage to hatch out some chicks then comes the tough part on feeding which they don't know how to do. I thought it was instinctive but they might not know how considering the chick wasn't being fed. Thanks for the website, I'll be sure the check it out.

Good luck with your next lot! I have had a lot of baby Zebs, many have died, but many have lived also. It's a gentle slope upwards with a few dips along the way when it comes to breeding birds. If you'd like help from the experts id recommend joining finch forum!

Good luck with your next lot! I have had a lot of baby Zebs, many have died, but many have lived also. It's a gentle slope upwards with a few dips along the way when it comes to breeding birds. If you'd like help from the experts id recommend joining finch forum!

That sounds great! Have you incubated eggs yourself or do the pair do it for you? How do I join?

Back
Top Bottom