Quick query about overnight

growanstede

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Wisconsin
So I have a 10x5 ft run--it's a dog kennel with chicken wire over the top. We have had raccoon problems--two of my hens were killed before we got the top on. This was last week.

Since then, I put a lock on the pop door, and lock it every night. Tonight I am going to be gone all night long--do you think I'd be okay with leaving the pop door open all night? I have to leave two hours before dusk and won't be home until around 10:30am tomorrow morning. I don't want to leave them cooped up, but I'd rather they'd be cooped up than be in danger. The high for tomorrow is 85*.

Is it more dangerous to leave the pop door unlocked than it is cruel to leave them in the coop until 10:30? I have nobody who can come and open/close the pop door. They'd be in the coop for close to 16 hours.

Cooped up is better than chewed up IMO.
I would lock them up for sure.
I would also look into putting up something stronger than the chicken wire on the top. Stinkin coons climb well.

I have big issues with coons and hawks. New to chickens but better to be warm, and bored, then gone. Hang a suet basket of good healthy food (broccoli, carrots,lettuce,cabbage,spinach, etc.) in the coop. Let them keep busy all day, pecking away at it. Plus, at night they will be sleeping.

Keep LOTS of water though. Make sure it is filled to the top before leaving.
smile.png

If you're only leaving a couple hours before dusk, it shouldn't throw them too bad & 10:30-ish AM still isn't awfully late IMO. It's not like you're sticking them in there ALL night & the full next day. Your temps will drop & if your high won't be but 85, I would expect around 10:30am, it's still ticking up, so you should be good.

Mine go in around dark or whenever they feel like, then I lock them in. Then get let out in the morning when I get out there, usually around 8, but there's been a few days when they weather was alright & I slept in & they didn't get out till around 10. They're lazy butts so they'll come adventure when I first let them out but usually, until about noon or so, they're lounging in the coop anyway LOL so I don't feel so bad.

Just make sure to top your water off (maybe add some ice to keep it cooler longer) & feed & I would think you'll be better off than taking the chance of leaving them more exposed.

A few bucks at the local Tractor Supply...(or similar type store) for a live trap will soon catch those pesky coons. They will be back once a chicken dinner is had. My brother has coons that come every evening to eat cat food. I finally got him to get it thru his head that this is NOT a good thing. The live traps will give you the opportunity to re-home them if your not in the market for a coonskin cap or two.

bun.gif

Quote:

Thanks guys. I did lock them up. I put the rabbit in her hutch and moved it so the hutch door faced the pop door and a raccoon, if it got in, would have to pull the entire hutch out of the way, then get the door open somehow.

They survived. I felt bad, but...HP7pII was yesterday, so...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom