Questions on Quail.. Bobwhite vs Coturnix... And Cage info

CountryMom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
South Texas
Ok, so we are still discussing this quail adventure. We know for sure we want to have them for a variety of reasons including to release and populate our ranch for future bird watching and hunting. I also think the eggs would be fun to eat and also plop in our incubator. Now, husband and I would find it interesting to have two, but may end up only being able to do one breed to start with.

So my question is.... Pros and Cons of Jumbo Bobwhite verses or comparable to the Coturnix. I find both interesting. How easy are either to handle? How easy are they to raise? And what really is the difference in them other than points of origin for our purpose?

I am not asking to see which is better than the other. Not my intention. I would like to learn some interesting points of view for our reference in starting all this.

Also, I have a cage coming that is about 10 feet plus long and about 36 inches or 42 inches wide. It use to be a pigeon breeding pen with several different compartments - all wire. Would this work for raising Quail?? It comes with feed dishes, watering bottles, and perches. Not sure quail perch, but they are built in.

Cortunix - Very Easy
Bobwhite- idk never had em they're a wild bird tho so my guess there skittish and aint gonna come up to you

cortunix prolly easier to handle most of the ones i have try to scratch you tho
again idk bout bobwhites

cortunix cant be realesed in the wild but they are better for egg and meat production
plus eggs hatch faster

If you plan on a release program, go with the Bobwhite.

Coturnix are wonderful for meat and egglaying, but they are so docile they wouldn't stand a chance against predators. I think anyway.

I think your cage will work fine. It sounds similar to what many of us use already.

-Kim

I HAVE RAISED BOTH. IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO RELEASE BOBWHITES WITHOUT A DOUBT. AS FAR MEAT BIRDS BOTH ARE GOOD. COTURNIX MATURE TWICE AS FAST AS BOBS BUT MOST ARE DARK MEAT BIRDS. BOBS ARE WHITE MEAT BIRDS. I PREFER BOBWHITES TO EAT BUT THAT IS JUST MY TASTE IN BIRDS. BOTH ARE GOOD EGG LAYERS BUT COTURNIX START LAYING SOONER. BOBS ARE VERY GOOD FLIERS AND COTURNIX JUST TEND TO FLUTTER UP AND THEN BACK DOWN MAKING THEM EASY PICKINGS FOR PREDATORS. AS FAR AS HOUSING OR PENS COTURNIX ARE MORE DOCILE ALLOWING FOR A FEW MORE BIRDS PER/SQ FT. BOBS TEND TO BETTER WHEN THEY AREN'T CRAMPED. HOPE THIS HELPS.
smile.png

Last edited:
You need a permit to release native species?

I always thought it was non-native species you would need permits for.

I'm just curious. I don't plan on releasing any of my quail, so I don't need to worry about release permits. I probably need to get a permit to keep them though.

-Kim

Well you need a permit to even own bobwhte quail one for personal use cant give/sell any eggs,bird, or meat away at all

the other u can do all that stuff including realese, you need a permit to realese em anywhere i think, u also need to check to make sure you can realese em

Thank you all for the information. I think hubby would really like to go with Bobwhite. He has finally gotten back in touch with a large Quail farm near us (within driving distance at least) and we will be hopefully visiting soon. I know that it is popular to keep/breed/sell/ and release around here and know of many that have done so. In fact, my dh father told me tonight that he use to have some on this ranch years and years ago. Coyottes and fire ants are our biggest threats. I will check with our local extention agent on the legality of it all for sure. I will also see what this owner of the quail farm has to say. I wondered if a few Coturnix would be able to live with the Bobwhite just to have variety?

We did get the cage home tonight and it is a good 10 feet by about 48 inches. It has four compartments and came with all the feed bins and water crocks. What kind of water do I need? Will a chicken one work? And with that kind of space how many do you think I could put in that cage? I was thinking of taking a divider out and making it one large adult section, one jr second and one nursery - as they increase in numbers. Will that work?

Thanks again for all the info.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom