Just Rosie

Songster
8 Years
May 10, 2016
Hello all,

I had to heavily assist this Coturnix Quail chick in hatching, and now I see why. Her poor little leg is jutting out at an unnatural angle, and I suspect it’s dislocated.

I do have access to veterinarians, as I work with them, however none of them deal with poultry. So I feel like I’m about as good as they are in the aspect of actually putting it back.

Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? Links are great. This is my first time dealing with something like this; what causes this?

PS: I am not planning to do anything with her until she is fluffed up.

Attachments

• A8051C26-5A23-4248-8552-AB00548746C6.jpeg
    A8051C26-5A23-4248-8552-AB00548746C6.jpeg
    413.9 KB · Views: 70
Hello all,

I had to heavily assist this Coturnix Quail chick in hatching, and now I see why. Her poor little leg is jutting out at an unnatural angle, and I suspect it’s dislocated.

I do have access to veterinarians, as I work with them, however none of them deal with poultry. So I feel like I’m about as good as they are in the aspect of actually putting it back.

Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? Links are great. This is my first time dealing with something like this; what causes this?

PS: I am not planning to do anything with her until she is fluffed up.
Sorry you never got a reply! How is she?

Sorry you never got a reply! How is she?

It ended up being just a case of spraddlefoot, but at the time it looked like her appendage was jutting out. Once I realized, I made a cardboard shoe (even harder to do on tiny quail feet) and she was good within 24 hours! Got the shoe off herself. Her 4th digit (the one that faces outwards, not sure how toes are numbered in chickens) may be slightly malpositioned, and she may be just a tad bit slower than the rest, but she gets along just fine.

Thanks for asking!

It ended up being just a case of spraddlefoot, but at the time it looked like her appendage was jutting out. Once I realized, I made a cardboard shoe (even harder to do on tiny quail feet) and she was good within 24 hours! Got the shoe off herself. Her 4th digit (the one that faces outwards, not sure how toes are numbered in chickens) may be slightly malpositioned, and she may be just a tad bit slower than the rest, but she gets along just fine.

Thanks for asking!
That's wonderful! Great job! She has a good mommy 👍

Back
Top Bottom