Puffing feathers, won't leave nest, shivering, continuous rubbing beak side to side

sdboring

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2018
Good afternoon,

For exactly a week, one of our 10 chickens, an Orpington, has been sitting on the laying nest. Originally I thought she was egg bound and soaked her in warm epsom salts a few times Friday and Saturday. The result was a very smelly runny yellow poo each time I pulled her out of the water! (imagine dijon mustard with chunks of oatmeal) I called the only vet in a 50 mile radius that treats birds. Due to HUGE $$ I elected to keep researching, (they said it was more likely Ascites than egg bound). I have not noticed any accumulating fluid anywhere. She seems to be normal size. (I almost never handle them) Here are the things I have witnessed.

-She is missing feathers on her belly. like gone. smooth belly
-She is alert
-Pecks at you to leave her the heck alone
-If/when you approach her even to take her out of the box she puffs her feathers out
-she puffs while standing and around other chickens... always
-She tries to flap her wings when picking her up, but it's like why bother
-Shakes/shivers including while puffing
-constantly rubbing beak back and forth on anything she can get to
-when carried to water she drinks it
-eats treats, but wont eat normal pellets if put in box with her
-immediately almost obsessively needs to get back to box

**Side note, back in April one of the Rhode Island Reds had a respiratory issue that seems to have subsided with VetRx, feeding herbs, cleaning and switching from shavings in the box to straw. None of the other 9 seemed to have the symptoms.

I hate seeing her like this and I'm at a loss as to what more I can do! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

This will pass. Just sit back and enjoy the show! :pop
I have never had a hen get over being broody without either hatching chicks or sitting so long that her body was in terrible condition (>6 weeks without sufficient food takes its toll.)

If she is broody, you need to give her fertile eggs, wait a few weeks and give her chicks, or try to break her. There are articles on BYC about breaking broody hens.

Other than the shivering... Sounds exactly like what's happening to seven of my layers.

Have you ever had a broody hen before?
I do have a broody hen! The Rhode Island that had the respiratory issue. RI will at least free range on our property if there are no eggs. Orp is there ALL DAY LONG!!

She sounds like she may have gone broody. If she is, she is wanting to be a mama and hatch some baby chicks.
I have one that is a first time broody and has been on the eggs in her nest for ten days now. Her behavior sounds almost identical to yours.
That's what I was thinking too! I hate to keep bothering her but like I said, if shes sick I hate to see her suffer. Can I ask, are you just leaving the eggs for your hen?

I have never had a hen get over being broody without either hatching chicks or sitting so long that her body was in terrible condition (>6 weeks without sufficient food takes its toll.)

If she is broody, you need to give her fertile eggs, wait a few weeks and give her chicks, or try to break her. There are articles on BYC about breaking broody hens.
OMG!! I can't imagine taking care of more chicks than what I have now haha! I tried locking her out of the hen house, but she just kept walking in circles around it! Ugh! Thanks for the advice, I'll go research that now! #quicklybecomingachickenexpert

First off Welcome to BYC!!! Secondly, she seems to be broody, as these are all signs. The poop is from lack of food, and the puffing is protectiveness. Keep feeding her and watering her, and just let her chill, this will pass. Just sit back and enjoy the show! :pop
Thank you!! Thank you!!

I do have a broody hen! The Rhode Island that had the respiratory issue. RI will at least free range on our property if there are no eggs. Orp is there ALL DAY LONG!!
You've got yourself a true broody :)
They will sit on nothing. For days, sometimes weeks. Sounds like she's in it for the long haul. You can either give her something to hatch or try breaking her. The only thing that works for me is to put them in rabbit hutches with food and water to cool them off and make them uncomfortable enough to stop nesting. Sometimes it takes a full week in the hutch (I have Bantam Cochins, so I see this often) but they will break eventually.
Best of luck with your gal!

Back
Top Bottom