Fluid-filled crop

Phospho

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2023
I was just out of town for a week, and my fowl-challenged family was put in charge of the chickens, so I don't know how long this has been going on for. I went to let the birds out this morning and Clara, my 3-4ish-year-old (not exactly sure--I got her as an adult) Rhode Island Red hen was huddled up in the back of the coop, puffed up.

Here's the situation:
  • She was puffed up and postured like a penguin (egg-bound?) when I found her, but is now standing straight up.
  • When I turned her upside-down to check for external injuries, she spit up pungent fluid. She continues to spit up a little bit every time I handle her. Her crop feels full of fluid.
  • Seems a little off-balance. Not making any effort to move--she's standing very still in the corner of her kennel right now, and I just caught her seeming to fall asleep standing up.
  • No interest in food or water. Her current food options are a couple pellets of ordinary food (to test if she has an appetite) and plain yogurt with vinegar and cinnamon.
  • Hasn't pooped yet, but also it's only been an hour since I brought her in, so that doens't mean much (yet).
I'm guessing she's either egg-bound or has sourcrop. I'm planning on force-feeding her 630 mg calcium citrate and then taking her food and water away overnight to see if her crop drains and if she poops. Does this seem like a good plan?

I've felt her belly in search of a bound egg, but I really have no idea what I'm feeling for.

@azygous I've heard you're an expert on this--any tips?

P.S. I just administered the calcium, I got it all down. After the first chunk (I broke up the pill), she actually ate some more on her own. Is it possible that she knew she needed it?

A crop issue and egg binding can go together like strawberries and short cake. She has all the symptoms of a stuck egg.

But give back her food and water. I've never been one of those who agree that withholding food and water for a crop issue is a good thing. I've found that chickens with a crop issue will self regulate what they take in.

Dim the lights and cut off activity in the area where you have her. She needs quiet and peace to let the egg work itself free. Be prepared for a second egg if she manages to get one out. If her behavior doesn't revert to normal, expect another egg to follow.

Sounds good. Is there anything else I can do? Should I give her more calcium? She expressed interest in the pill I did give her, and I know birds can't really have too much, so should I just give her a little pile of pills to work on?

Ok. Also, she just pooped, but her poop is completely liquid, yellow, and has some chalky white chunks and darker, solid pellets in it. What do I make of that?

@azygous No egg yet, some more runny poop. One of my chicken-owning friends just told me I could try soaking her bum in a warm epsom salt bath. If I don't have an egg by tomorrow, should I do that? What about putting vaseline on her vent?

The warm bath is more for you so you feel like you're doing something. In reality, what's best is for your hen to have peace and quiet with no stress.

Go ahead and give another calcium, and then leave her alone tonight. Recently, I had a hen who was egg bound for two days before she popped the egg out.

Greasing up the vent will do nothing. In the even the egg makes it to the cloaca and becomes stuck, it can help to squirt a little soapy water just inside the vent between the egg and the tissue.

I usually put a little sugar in the water to keep the hen's glucose elevated so she keeps her energy up.

Back
Top Bottom