Production Red/RIR Hen or Rooster?

supernova

In the Brooder
May 13, 2015
Sunny Florida

Ive had this chicken since it was roughly a month old. It is turning 5 months old this week. Everyone kept saying it was a hen but Im not so sure. It does sing the egg song but does not lay eggs. It now crows loudly in the morning and occasionally through the day. Ive read that hens can crow but that they arent usually good at it. This chicken is good at it and the crowing began about two weeks ago.

Awww bummer. So no chance it's just a really dominant hen? It's the only chicken I have so I thought maybe that's why it does the egg song and now crows. I was waiting to see if the tail begins to grow longer and if spurs come in but I wasn'the sure how long that might take.

Well I guess I better stop feeding him hen food then! I began feeding him hen food in preparation to see some eggs soon but that's clearly not gonna happen haha

Last edited:

THis is Captain Kirk my Production Red /RIR Rooster. Some one put him in the pullet pen at the Feed store during hatch days and she grew up to be a he! Kirk is 18 weeks old, is very protective of his hens and crows every few days.

Ive had this chicken since it was roughly a month old. It is turning 5 months old this week. Everyone kept saying it was a hen but Im not so sure. It does sing the egg song but does not lay eggs. It now crows loudly in the morning and occasionally through the day. Ive read that hens can crow but that they arent usually good at it. This chicken is good at it and the crowing began about two weeks ago.
There is no chance that is a pullet. The male saddle feathers are just starting to come in on the back.

Back
Top Bottom