Probiotics for goose

The Prairie

Songster
Oct 14, 2018
Have a 3 year old Toulouse Gander with a bone infection in his toe from a fracture. I'm a vet tech and we see poultry a decent amount so have radiographed his foot and put him on medications. The break has significant osteomyelitis eating his bone. We have him on Clindamycin as an antibiotic and Carprofen for pain and inflammation. I'm worried these will effect his gut flora and would like to put him on a probiotic but am having trouble finding one. He is 3 days into his treatment and the foot is looking improved, he is eating and drinking but started kinda shaking his head a little today. I cannot palpate his crop as I would a chicken so can't monitor how he's feeling. Any products you recommend? A tablet or capsule would be ideal for me because I'm already giving him oral meds by hand and he shares his water and food with his lady friend and she's fine.

If you can get home to eat a little yogurt, that would be a nice treat to get some bacteria back in his gut. Also, TSC offers little packs of poultry probiotics and electrolytes...I think it's called Sav a Chick.
I'll run a search and see if I can find a link for you.

I'm hoping to not gove by fiod or water as I can't control if/how mich je gets..Im thinking of trying a probiotic capsule for other animals (probiotics are basically all the same) or the tablets for yeast over growth prevention in women. Probiotics of any kinda are pretty innocuous... Just trying to see if there's a more poultry direct tablet of capsule.

Update, he's been doing really good, almost through his 2 week course of antibiotics and Carprofen. I started him on Proviable capsules and they've been doing great, no antibiotic related issues.

I did notice today that he isn't as water resistant as usual. They're out in the rain doing their thing and he appears rather wet where his lady you can see the droplets roll off. What may be causing this?

Bathing regular too? Plus depending on where you are it’s almost time for molt. Feathers aren’t in such good shape before molt for some and he’s been through a lot.
He's actually never been one to spend much time in the water, Lucy basically spends all her time in the pool but Ricky only every once in a while. I'm in the US, Western Washington state, its dumping rain

Back
Top Bottom