Poultry Show in Marietta OH. Did you go?

greenesacres

Songster
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Kentucky
Returned home with my bantam cochin from the show and now she is sick with eyes swollen and matted together. Gave her meds orally and on her eyes. Improving, but wondering if anyone else picked up anything from the show.

I saw tags that said mites, lice, swollen eyes, resp. problems, etc. Sure wish people would not bring sick birds.

Quote:
Yikes. Who brings a mite infested bird to a show?
somad.gif

Quote:
Good question. I am hoping they are just ignorant of the fact rather than malicious. My sister bought my mother a pair of birds last year at a swap that were crawling with lice. Took us months to get rid of them. A friend met the guy somewhere else and asked him what he uses for lice and mites. He said I don't, my birds don't have any bugs.
hmm.png

How do they get mites? We have a new coop and a new run with river sand in it. Can you prevent lice and mites? Its a shame that people would really take sick birds to a show. When you show horses you have to "show" a clean bill of healthy from a vet.

Quote:
Mites live everywhere and your birds will get them. Just be sure to check every once in a while and treat if necessary. It only takes a couple days to kill the mites once the birds are treated.

Back
Top Bottom