Possible breeding program

I started making a landrace flour corn after reading about Joseph lofthouse. I think I’m on the 4th generation now. I started with 4 distinct varieties and combined them.
If I was to try an make an adapted chicken for our environment here in Texas, I’d probably start with American gamefowl, red junglefowl and something like a brown leghorn. I think they would have the right combination of wild and domesticated traits.
You're much more scientific than I am. I just throw a bunch of stuff together that has traits I like and plan on sorting out the mess in later generations.

Once you make the initial crosses, it’s good to grow out a lot and let survival of the fittest take over. The second and third generation should show a lot of diversity and novel traits.

The Biel x Dominique crosses are causing problems, and they're not taking good care of their ladies, so I'm going to harvest them.

I have 10 eggs in the incubator from that line, mothers are either BA or JG. For now I have the one Biel x BA cockerel chick, and I've arranged to get a Biel x JG cockerel chick from my sister's group.

I will not be keeping any cockerels from the B x D cross. The pullets will carry the rose comb gene for future generations, and that's primarilly why I wanted this line.

I also have 10 eggs from the JG x RIR back-cross in the incubator. Any pullets from that group will go to other flocks in the area, and any white chicks ditto.

Although long term I do not intend to use incubators, the chick survival rate has been abysmal. They're fine as long as Mama is taking care of them, then something gets them between wean and adult size.

Working on that.

At this point all the crossed chicks are showing early and fast growth. At 10 and 12 weeks even the pullets are as large as the hens that raised them, and still growing.

I am giving the birds 2 cups of fermented feed per day for 8 birds, including 2 ten month cockerels, and they usually leave part of it, so the free range thing appears to be working even in winter.

Are you breeding just eggs or for dual purpose if so I would recommend keeping track of growth rates for the chicks individually separating into a male and female group for each batch and keep only the ones that grow fastest but also be within your desired weight range by a certain age, and then from those only pick the hardiest ones to breed from later on.

Yes, this is intended to be a dual purpose breed.

As adults I'll be keeping track individually after the third generation. During the mixing phase I'll sort out white or light colored birds, birds that are agressive, or that struggle with cold or heat. Birds will be preferentially kept that have good predator evasion, grow quickly, and are excellent foragers. Once I have three or four way mixes with my selected breeds, the criteria will expand.

Fertility (or the ability to breed without my help) looks like it's going to be another that I hadn't thought of. 100% of the Biel x Dom eggs I set were duds. I set three more to see if I get any at all. They're in the pen for harvest tonight, so doesn't look like they'll be passing on that rose comb I wanted.

Yes, this is intended to be a dual purpose breed.

As adults I'll be keeping track individually after the third generation. During the mixing phase I'll sort out white or light colored birds, birds that are agressive, or that struggle with cold or heat. Birds will be preferentially kept that have good predator evasion, grow quickly, and are excellent foragers. Once I have three or four way mixes with my selected breeds, the criteria will expand.

Fertility (or the ability to breed without my help) looks like it's going to be another that I hadn't thought of. 100% of the Biel x Dom eggs I set were duds. I set three more to see if I get any at all. They're in the pen for harvest tonight, so doesn't look like they'll be passing on that rose comb I wanted.
Get a breed that's very broody and cross it with the Dom birds. Those offspring should mostly be broody. In my experience it's easier to add broodiness than it is to eliminate it.
My Cubalaya are broody and everything I've crossed with them always come out wanting to be broody. The mixes are usually very good broodies as well.
Adding a peacomb to a rosecomb will produce "flat" ie. walnutcombs but as you breed the mixes you'll inevitably get some rosecombs.
Another possibility in getting rosecombs quicker is to breed a Dom cross cockerel back to the Doms. Statistically you'll get half rosecomb and half walnutcomb. The walnutcomb means that there is peacomb in the mix. Those offspring should be broody as well.

I got the Biel x JG cockerel from my sister last night.

20240112_172204.jpg

The Biel x BA cockerel was hatched here and they're only a few weeks apart in age (10 vs 12 weeks). I think still young enough to adjust.

20240112_172248.jpg

The new chicks (Buckeye, Marans, Ranger, Speckled Sussex) are scheduled to arrive in late February. By that time I hope to have the new coop built and the JG x RIR currently in the incubator will be about 4 weeks old.

Day 12 in the incubator, only 1 quitter so far. This is the JG x RIR back-cross for my second coop.

I'm trying to decide if going broody in the winter and very early spring is a desirable trait. I do want winter layers if possible, but that doesn't necessarily mean going broody during that time.

I had one go broody in November, and her baby is 10 (?) weeks old. It would skip snake season. Another went broody in high summer. I worried about the chicks in a hot metal building, but they survived that easily.

Not an issue for another three generations, but my brain can't stop picking at it.

Tomorrow is lockdown! Jersey Giant x RIR back-cross. Any pullets will be given away or sold. These will be the cockerels for my second breeding group.

The Coop 1 cockerels are half brothers. Their father was my Bielefelder roo.

The Biel x JG is very tall and slender, with enormous feet. The Biel x BA is heavier in the chest and legs, but shorter and more compact. I suspect he'll reach maturity faster and have more useable meat, but the other will finish out larger.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom