Positioning eggs in incubator

I usually incubate eggs with the pointy end down, then lay them on their sides for lockdown. Does anyone lay the eggs on their side in the turning tray, day 1-18? It seems more natural like it would be underneath a hen.

I typically incubate my duck eggs on their sides (also hand turning them) from the beginning and have had good hatches. With chicken eggs, I just use the autoturner with the eggs large end up and then place them on their sides at lockdown.

People who hand turn usually lady them on their sides. There are a few incubators with auto turners that roll the eggs. All in all, it doesn't seem to matter either way, except with shipped eggs.

With shipped eggs you need to set them pointy side down for at least a day before putting them in the incubator. I then incubate them that way without turning them for the first couple of days, then I plug the turner in and let it work like normal. I hatch them upright in egg cartons rather than laying them on their side.

The reason they need to be treated differently is that its not unusual for the air sac to become dislodged during shipping, so you want to give it time to hopefully reattach so the chick can hatch properly.

We bought 6 Svart Hona eggs and 3 had detached air cells so we decided to incubate pointy end down in an egg carton. Also have 8 of my own eggs in with them. We are rotating them, but just slightly to the side. I'm at day 2 so have a ways to go.

Question: at lockdown do we leave in the egg carton or take out to hatch on their side?

I hatch all mine in the upright position. Usually in a cut out egg carton.

The chicks don't seem to have a problem getting out. Plus I'm not a fan of chicks soccer. So this keeps the hatching eggs from getting bounced around by hatched chicks.

Back
Top Bottom