*POLL* Should a strain of chickens carry the breeder's name?

*POLL* Should a strain of chickens carry it's breeder's name?

• Total voters
Now that it settled down.

I'd just like to say, I wouldn't mind if people used my name with the birds I have bred. Really, it's not that huge of a deal.

Not recognizing the person(s) the people put all their time, & money into making, or improving a breed seems abit, rude, & disrespectful. I believe they need some form of credit, even if it means, spreading the name of the line.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, I agree with you. After one generation you haven't really put any work into that line at all. But how long you gonna keep calling them Albany? Where's the cut-off? It's all just a weird gray area. Seems the best lines are the ones that get named after their creator by other people due to consistent high reputation, not via someone arbitrarily giving their line a name themselves. I guess the game world and the domestic chicken world are very different on this point, though. My familiarity with all that in the game world comes pretty exclusively from listening to interviews with breeders on podcasts and I'm just repeating what they say about how little many of these names mean now, but that does seem to be in regards to a bunch of guys that are long since-dead, not current breeders. How people feel about it in domestics is from just being around and knowing breeders and hearing them consistently complain about people continuing to use their name long after the birds left their yard.

My bad, didn't realize the thread had been closed.
Games are domestic, they were the first of the domesticated chickens.

Categorizing Gamefowl, & Regular chickens as different, doesn't make that much sense too me, both are domestic fowls, they're very similar, except the difference is they're bred differently.

Even regular roosters will kill another, I've had it happen twice, almost 4 times. I suspect it's their old timey ancestors peeking through.

Although ancient Jerusalem(If I remembered location correctly)were the first to use chickens for sport, meat, & Eggs.

Last edited:
Games are domestic, they were the first of the domesticated chickens.

Categorizing Gamefowl, & Regular chickens as different, doesn't make that much sense too me, both are domestic fowls, they're very similar, except the difference is they're bred differently.

Even regular roosters will kill another, I've had it happen twice, almost 4 times. I suspect it's their old timey ancestors peeking through.

Although ancient Jerusalem(If I remembered location correctly)were the first to use chickens for sport, meat, & Eggs.
@sdm111 ?

@roosterhavoc

I looked around and found this person.
IDK maybe they can add some more insight on strains being given names and such.
Also, if and how Gamefowl are different than Domestic meat and egg laying chickens.

Maybe he will join for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom