PLEASE HELP OMG!!!!! Yolk sac attached

I think the cup and rag sounds like a good idea (not a hatcher, but I do read some of the advice from them).

If you can get a photo uploaded, that can help. I think there may be a restriction on photo's until new members have posted a certain number of times, I am not sure.

Anyway, there are hatchers at

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ds-w-host-sally-sunshine/124160#post_17268816

so post over there.

@Lacrystol

@learycow

@WVduckchick

@dotknott

@animal addict

I dont know how to make a new thread so i hope someone replies to this. I just had a duckling hatch but it's bottom looks strange and round and i had to stop some bleeding. Thats all i helped with though. Should i put it in a cup with a rag or leave it alone to do it's own thing.

It really depends on how much is exposed. If just a little, like pencil eraser sized, it will usually absorb it within a day, so keeping it on something soft is fine. Cup not really necessary, just keep it off of abything that it could damage it, or get anything stuck in it (like wire mesh or shavings). Soft towel or rag is good.

Is it eating/drinking or trying to move around?

You "can" dab some antibiotic ointment (make sure it does NOT include pain reliever) on it, but it should heal up on its own.

If its a large sac, then a cup or bowl is better, but be careful with the heat. It's hard to regulate them if they are stuck in one spot.

Also watch that the siblings dont pick at it.

Good luck!

Since you can't post a pic, this is one of mine. It took less than 24 hours and I could no longer see this spot. Is yours much bigger than this? I didn't put anything on this guy. He is now 16 months old! :)

No not much, the ducklimg is doing better now though thankfully. I had another hatch out half way though and i noticed a yolk sac so i kept the duckling in the egg and wrapped it in a damp washcloth in a cup and put him back in the incubator. Did i do the right thing? These ducklings were both put in on the same day but one was quite far behind compared to the other?

The duckling i was having a problem with is fin now and walking around I placed him on a warm wrag but now I have another problem. Another duckling hatched out halfway and i noticed a yolk sac so i kept him in the egg and put him in a damp rag in a cup. My other ducklings didnt habe these problems so idk why these two had problems. My incubator temp is99-100 and the humidity is 65-75.

The incubator is a great place to let them stay since the temp is better regulated.

Issues like that could be any number of reasons, from parent genetics, to incubator fluctuations, to just plain mother nature. Where did you get the eggs?

Okay good news the duck lived, i think hes in the safe zone but not sure. And my peking ducks, we did have a few power outages?

The incubator is a great place to let them stay since the temp is better regulated.

Issues like that could be any number of reasons, from parent genetics, to incubator fluctuations, to just plain mother nature. Where did you get the eggs?

Okay good news the duck lived, i think hes in the safe zone but not sure. And my peking ducks, we did have a few power outages?

Back
Top Bottom