PLEASE HELP OMG!!!!! Yolk sac attached

I now have this same problem does anyone have any advice for me please??!!
usually you just leave them alone and it will dry and fall off. keep it in a butter tub or something similar so it doesn't accidently step on it and pull it off before it's ready to fall off on it's own. put something like a wash cloth in the plastic container first. or absorb if it truly is the yolk sac.

Last edited:
It's been like this for 5 hours now and it's not getting any smaller... I have put it in a tub... Is this the right thing to do??

It's been like this for 5 hours now and it's not getting any smaller... I have put it in a tub... Is this the right thing to do??
Tub? what kind of tub I have read when a duckling or gosling hatches with the yolk still attached you put them on a clean wash cloth inside a bowl or plastic container and that way it keeps it from stumbling around or kicking it off.

This exact scenario (of the original post) was what happened to me last night. Lots of blood and the yolk still attached. I left him alone in the incubator over night and in the morning the yolk had dried up but he was still attached by the umbilical cord, though it also seemed to be dried up. I cut the cord near the egg and moved him into a high wall, transparent, mixing bowl and put him in the brooder with his siblings.

He was really weak and just laying on his side, wanting to sleep. When I checked on him an hour later, the oldest duckling had managed to jump into the bowl and was snuggling with him. Later, I found all four in the bowl.

It's been 24 hours, and he is drinking, eating, and walking with his siblings.

Looks like he will make it! Thanks for posting this, I wouldn't have known what to do, if I hadn't read this post.

I'm having this same issue. Duckling is out, but not up and moving. Peeps softly and wiggles but hasn't tried to stand. Yolk is definitely still attached. I do not have an incubator, he is in a mixing bowl on a washcloth inside the larger container with his siblings and a heat lamp. Was not expecting to hatch ducklings, long story. The other 4 eggs hatched and are all running around eating, drinking and being silly. I do not want him(or her!) to suffer. :(

I dont know how to make a new thread so i hope someone replies to this. I just had a duckling hatch but it's bottom looks strange and round and i had to stop some bleeding. Thats all i helped with though. Should i put it in a cup with a rag or leave it alone to do it's own thing.

Back
Top Bottom