Pinless peepers

MACCanadianCoop

The last Saskatchewan pirate ☠️
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2022
Central Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone. I've decided to give these a shot, because one if my hens is eating everyone else's feathers. Put them on for the first time and I'm not 100% sure they are fitted correctly. At the first attempt to shake them off, they pivoted forward. They haven't come off, but I'm concerned they will block her ability to eat. Could I get some feedback please?

20230420_184527.jpg
20230420_184439.jpg

It looks like the pinless peepers are too big for your hen. The lower plastic piece should be on top of the beak, not right at or below the lower beak. It will prevent her from eating.
Here's how it should look in this photo:

s-l640pinless.jpg

Hi everyone. I've decided to give these a shot, because one if my hens is eating everyone else's feathers. Put them on for the first time and I'm not 100% sure they are fitted correctly. At the first attempt to shake them off, they pivoted forward. They haven't come off, but I'm concerned they will block her ability to eat. Could I get some feedback please?

View attachment 3475297View attachment 3475302
You put it on wrong.

It looks like the pinless peepers are too big for your hen. The lower plastic piece should be on top of the beak, not right at or below the lower beak. It will prevent her from eating.
Here's how it should look in this photo:

View attachment 3475368
Thanks. I tried the smaller size and it works much better

These can be useful tools, but please don't leave them on too long. I'm not sure exactly what is considered the right amount, but a few days to a week? I say this because the plastic parts that go in the nares are abrasive and can cause wounds that become infected. If you check regularly you should be able to see if it starts to be an issue for your hen

Back
Top Bottom