Pigeon Talk

Small as in about the size of a grackle maybe..?
Sounds big for a Portuguese tumbler if your grackles are like the ones around here.
The ones in Puerto Rico were pretty small though.
Only other thing I can think of is an English Tumbler with a longer beak.

Is this okay to feed a pigeon temporarily? Maybe with some popcorn and brown rice added?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wild-Harvest-Parakeet-Canary-Finch-Daily-Nutrition-Blend-5-lb/10318459?
I think rather than corn and rice, the thing to add to this would be dry peas or lentils. My memory is that pigeons should have about 14% protein so you want to boost that a little, which peas or lentils will do with their higher protein content (20+%).

(Edit to add that the linked seed mix appears to be 11% protein so a little low by itself.)

Last edited:
14% protein is good. They can also eat chicken pellets and crumbles (though if this pigeon is not used to it they may refuse.) Pellets are perfectly fine to feed but they do create mushier droppings so I try to keep them a small component of the feeding mix.

It’s definitely a tumbler and I think a female. The ID on this one is bugging me a little because it looks like so many different breeds but with one trait off, lol. I was thinking west of England tumbler but the clean feet are a giveaway that’s not correct, and I agree she seems too large for a Portuguese tumbler.

You mentioned watery droppings, were they green and discolored or just watery? If not then I’m thinking simple malnutrition and stress is causing the droppings issues and they should clear up with some feeding.

Also a word or warning that peas are great for pigeon feed but also turn the droppings a greenish shade. It’s definitely distinct from the sickly lime green or very dark bile-stained green you see in ill or starving pigeons.

For temporary, this or wild bird seed would work.
I agree here. :goodpost:,, Also wanted to add. Uncooked rice is not digestible in chickens, so may also hold true for pigeons.
If it is a tumbler,,, the pigeon is not very far from home. May have been chased and escaped an areal predator. They have no homing skills to speak of. Aside returning to KIT, or LOFT.

14% protein is good. They can also eat chicken pellets and crumbles (though if this pigeon is not used to it they may refuse.) Pellets are perfectly fine to feed but they do create mushier droppings so I try to keep them a small component of the feeding mix.

It’s definitely a tumbler and I think a female. The ID on this one is bugging me a little because it looks like so many different breeds but with one trait off, lol. I was thinking west of England tumbler but the clean feet are a giveaway that’s not correct, and I agree she seems too large for a Portuguese tumbler.

You mentioned watery droppings, were they green and discolored or just watery? If not then I’m thinking simple malnutrition and stress is causing the droppings issues and they should clear up with some feeding.

Also a word or warning that peas are great for pigeon feed but also turn the droppings a greenish shade. It’s definitely distinct from the sickly lime green or very dark bile-stained green you see in ill or starving pigeons.
Thank you! Her droppings are greenish-gray, not lime or dark green. I noticed she is also breathing kind of heavily. Not mouth-breathing, but her body moves a lot when she takes a breath. Doesn't look normal. But I don't see any nasal or eye discharge and she's not wheezing or sneezing.

Back
Top Bottom