Pics of Gosling brooders?

DreadedMoonMama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 26, 2012
I searched for a thread like this but didn't find anything. I'd love to see pics of where everyone is keeping their babies! Also love to see your ideas for waterer as well. :)

I'm plenty familiar with chicken brooders - it's the modifications I'd really like to see/talk about. I have my first 2 baby goslings and they're definitely a bit different than baby chicks!

I'm plenty familiar with chicken brooders - it's the modifications I'd really like to see/talk about. I have my first 2 baby goslings and they're definitely a bit different than baby chicks!
Very true but I saw some brooders on that thread that would have made great gosling brooders. Haven't done a gosling brooder yet, but my duck brooder was a huge Dog crate, this time it will be my small coop 3X5 with a tray laid down for their food and water to keep bedding drier. but my duck will be taking care of heat.
big_smile.png

our brooders are on the floor and are as follows:

4 x 4' with walls 2.5' high

4 x 3' with walls 2.5' high

4 x 6' with walls 4'' high

simple 2x4 frames with solid wood walls. We fill them with pelleted horse stall bedding. There are wood arms over them that allows a heat source to be hung from it when they are super young.

I used cedar fence boards to make a 4x4' crate.
Extended the uprights to about 3' and screwed on a diagonal cross piece to hang the heat lamp from.
Heat lamp has to have a ceramic socket. Friends lost their chicks and house (human) using wrong fixture.
Crate has no bottom, I use the same design for potato growing.
Put crate over tarp and used a few inches of fine wood shavings.

Seven goslings used this set-up for their first week in my sun room. After their first few outings, the crate seemed too small and I moved goslings and heat lamp to their big goose house.

We have 6 baby Africans (currently 3 weeks old) in the bottom brooder. It's about 5 and a half feet long, made mostly out of 1x4's, 2x4's, and hardware cloth (on 3 of 4 sides). We have plywood on back that is hinged to raise up for easier clean out. (The definite difference between raising goslings and chicks is that we do a complete clean out of the goslings every other day compared to about once a week for the chicks.) The Plywood floor is covered by one of those heavy duty contractor trash bags to keep the plywood from getting overly wet. It also makes clean up a little easier since I can't just roll it all up and drag it out rather than using a shovel to drag out the messy hay bit by bit. The trash bag is usually very well covered by a thick level of hay, but occasionally some shows through. The babies don't ever mess with it.

They will stay in here for another 2-4 weeks before we move them to an outside pen.

I don't have pics of it but I brood my geese in an old Vision Herp snake cage.

As far as a waterer I use empty milk jugs with an appropriate sized hole cut in the side so they can get their heads in to drink and wash but not get their bodies into. I go through 2 jugs, one with a little hole near the bottom and a bigger one near the top when they start getting taller.

Back
Top Bottom