Helping my goslings like me?

Welcome to goslings. There really interactive, They hit panic mode all the time totally normal. But they love you and still look to you. When your on there level eye to eye so friendly when you stand over them total fear. Kinda built in to them. Best thing you can do is spend what time you can with them. Teach them the rules. Like "HOME" time to go in the barn. "NO" we dont bite. Geese understand from the day there born that there is a protocol. Just be the person who protects them and is in charge for their own good. They will respect you for that.
That’s so cool! You have them trained by commands? My two adult geese learned very quickly the protocol when I added them to my flock last year, but I think they mainly followed the ducks. I don’t have any of my birds trained by commands, but that sounds super cool!

You'll be forced to interact with them a lot more real soon when they out grow the brooder and maybe even sooner if they start picking on the chicks.
Totally fair. The brooder is 4x4 and the goslings are letting the chicks use them like mamas (the chicks will nuzzle on top of the goslings who will just chill there and keep them semi warm 😅). I’m more worried about them out growing the chicks than the brooder for now. We had an unfortunate death last year when we brooded pekin ducks for the first year and a silkie chick decided it wanted to be with the ducks even though they were getting too big. So I know the clock is ticking for that and I have other spaces for either the chicks or goslings. I’m trying to spend more time with them outside. The past couple of days we’ve had great weather and I sat outside and worked on my laptop while they hung around me and ate grass from my hand, it was very fun. I have dogs as well so I can’t do that all the time unfortunately, but I can see that they are far less scared out of the brooder than when I’m reaching into it, which makes me more confident that they’ll be more pet like as they grow and I can spend more time outside with them.

I would say if you're reaching in to get them from above, that's a no-no. Same move that some predators make (think hawks from above), not all predators, but some. Same thing I've learned about my bobwhite quail chicks. Learned to get at eye-level with them and talk to them in a sweet low voice. They'll more than likely react alot differently than they would if you're reaching from above.
I have had my gosling for going on about 3 weeks now (This saturday him/her will be 3 weeks old already and growing like crazy!), and although I haven't really had an issue like that, I have spent a lot of time with him/her since it hatched. I hatched the gosling out using one of my broody chicken hens, I was the first thing it seen, and though that may be different than your situation, nevertheless, I have a very good relationship with it, partly because him/her probably imprinted on me - well, probably a big part, and two because I spend time with him/her every single day. I take him/her with me when I go outside in the evening times to make my rounds at the chicken and quail coops, and while I'm putting out the feed and fresh cold water, him/her will set just outside the coop I'm at, and do what goslings do. 🥰 It does seem like the more older he/she gets, it is becoming somewhat a little more adventurous and likes to explore more when we're outside, I keep a close eye on him/her, and him/her is never too far away from me anyways. I have even taken him/her on small errand trips to town with him/her riding in the console. I just take along some of those XXL underpads that you can find in the "women's" aisle at your local Dollar General or Walmart or places like that. They have different sizes. They look like a gigantic puppy pad is all they are, and I also take along baby wipes to wipe up any "accidents". I also use same thing when I let him/her be out in the house from time to time (I haven't received the goose diaper that I ordered yet). Never knew I could love a little gosling as much as I love him/her. Not sure if I'm gonna end up having a goose or gander, but it doesn't matter to me. Spending a lot of time with the gosling will help, and treats are a plus too, although I wouldn't give them too many treats that they start refusing their regular feed. Obviously I'm not an expert, as this is my very first gosling EVER, but just thought I'd offer some insight. Best of luck! ☺️

signed,

A Fellow "Mother Goose"

Back
Top Bottom