Pekin Duck Bill Colors (White vs. Yellow)

I've had some people tell me the lighter beaks are females and the males have a darker color I have 3 Pekins right now 2 girls 1 boy the boy has a darker more orange and the girls have a lighter color and they all eat the same thing they are In the same pen

vk is right! I just found out today that my pekin is actually a long island duck and yours may be also. true Pekins stand up right, somewhere bred with the Aylesbury and the pinkish bill is actually from the recessive Aylesbury gene! so.interesting to learn all this information

I bought 6 Pekins and have had them a month now, one has a pink bill. All have been in the same brooder, same food same everything....still researching...

My Pekin Ducklings bill is turning a pale blue almost. It started out flesh colored and now is a lot paler. He seems to be fine otherwise.

Courtesy of motherhenspoultry.com I just purchased 10 of these from Tractor Supply. Guess they are Aylesbury.
S1053004.JPG

Last edited:
I found this little bit on Metzer. I don't know if it helps.
hu.gif

"...If fed a diet high in corn or alfalfa, the beak and legs in Pekins can become very bright orange in color. As the hen lays, though, she begins to lose that orange color as it is used in the coloration of the yolk of her eggs. Oftentimes you can determine which of your Pekins are laying the best as they will have the lighter, more yellow colored bills. As time goes on, Pekins will often get black splotches on their bill. This is of no harm to the ducks."

Pretty interesting though. I'm hoping to get a Pekin hen this summer. My dad has been helping me so much with building my coop and the one thing he always wanted was "the Alfack duck". I'm hoping mine has a really orange bill for his sake lol.

Last edited:
Everyone is born different! I have 3 Pekins and all three bills are different colors. I'm not sure but I'm thinking there is nothing wrong with the ducks. Just individuals!

Back
Top Bottom