Pecked Eyes

I agree with @Nabiki . I had a male that was severely hen pecked and I thought he'd lost both eyes along with being nearly scalped. I put him in an isolation cage (cat carrier) and gave a gentle saline solution wash to his head wound and eyelids. It took around a week, but eventually one eye and then the other emerged and his head scabbed over. He never regained his head feathers, but his eyes at least worked.
I am going through this right now… did you ever introduce him back into the covey? If so, how did you do it? I have 8 hens and 2 roos and it seems like a bunch of them are after my poor guy :-(

I am going through this right now… did you ever introduce him back into the covey? If so, how did you do it? I have 8 hens and 2 roos and it seems like a bunch of them are after my poor guy :-(
He eventually went to freezer camp along with a bunch of other excess males. There were 4 hens in the cage when he got scalped and I just left them without a roo. In the course of time, two of the hens died. I had some new breeders ready for grow out cages and separated the remaining two hens into those groups. There were no hiccups with that change.

He eventually went to freezer camp along with a bunch of other excess males. There were 4 hens in the cage when he got scalped and I just left them without a roo. In the course of time, two of the hens died. I had some new breeders ready for grow out cages and separated the remaining two hens into those groups. There were no hiccups with that change.
Ah okay, thanks so much for the info

Back
Top Bottom