Peachicks with little mites/flees Help!

OrchidCanoe

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Tonawanda, NY
I'm fostering some peachicks from a zoo, they are about 5-7 days old and they seem to have small whiteish bugs on them crawling through their feather fuzz (Not too many, but I noticed 2-3 on each after watching them for 15 mins). I'm new to keeping peafowl and I'm looking for a way to get these little mites off safely and quickly. They are separated from my other fowl in a quarantined Rubbermaid bin.

Thanks!

Do you have a place they can dust bath, if so add some seven dust to their area, it will not hurt them I use it in my ground brooder to keep ants out and I have never lost a baby one to it.

I only had mites on one of my peacocks and I used 1cc of ivermec pour on and in 2 days no more mites but a chick is a different story, I really don't know what would be a safe amount on one, perhaps someone will chime in that know of such things.

May we see photos of your foster babies... how long do you keep them before they are returned them?

I used a little DE bath on them, it's only been 24 hours, I can still see them on the one's head, they seem less itchy though. I think tommorow I'll give them a bit of sevin dust. They were hatched outside, and then the peahen just stopped caring for them.

Here is one of them, I have a feeling it's a boy.

I found DE was not very effective on any bug plus it is real bad for the lungs, a normal dust bath does a way better job
Yes I've also heard this, I add it to my chicken's dust baths in small amounts and I've never had mite problems, I feel that wood ash, DE and "dust bath" mix do an excellent prevention job. My situation with the peachicks is that, one; I can tell they're uncomfortable and two; I'd like to get them back to a clean state and out of quarantine. I have a bunch of chicks hatching this weekend and I wanted to grow them out all together. I'm going to wait a while longer and take it slow with them, but I think I'm going to use Sevin dust tonight on them.

You can also use a kitten safe flea powder on the chicks and that should rid the mites and lice do not use any puppy or dog as it my be to strong. kittens lick themselves which makes it the safest.

If all else fails a couple of drops of ivermectin under the wings or on the back of the neck will also cure the problem. All we use is Sevin and Ivermectin in the brooder and the grow out pens. Both work well on chickens and peafowl.
I recently tried 1% ivermectin on a hen with lice and it did nothing, but maybe it would if I put more on in different places, lol. Or maybe the 5% would work? still experimenting...

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom