Pasco County Florida-- We need to change the law!

PascoChickees

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 24, 2012
I live on a rural residential property in unincorporated Pasco County. My neighbors just complained about the smell of my coop, which my husband and I feel is non-existent. They have threatened to call the county if we don't get rid of our chickens ASAP. I am planning to give the chickens away, but keep the coop and all the stuff we invested in and instead get the law changed in Pasco County. Has anyone tried to do this before, or anyone else from other jurisdictions (especially in Florida?) have advice for how to go about approaching the BOCC? City of Tampa, Hillsborough County and even Dade City (incorporated municipality within Pasco County), have all changed their ordinances (Dade City in the process now) of allowing small coops in residential neighborhoods. Is there any interest out there for doing this? Does anyone know where I could start getting signatures, etc.? I am so disappointed to lose my four little ladies, but I feel sure I can get the law changed since that seems to be the way my area is heading, as all surrounding counties/municipalities have joined the "urban chicken" movement. Any advice to get me started would be very much appreciated.

How much land do you own? If it's "rural" as I mean "rural", then your neighbor can go bump a stump as he/she has no leg to stand on. I live on "rural" property, and my only neighbors are my parents. If I had a neighbor who "threatened to call the county", I'd give them something to tell.

This country has gone to the dogs......and to the sissies, the whiners, and the crybabies. Imagine the call....."My neighbor got some chickens. I want him to get rid of them." What manliness!!! What Bravado!!! Drag his butt out in the road and give him a thrashing he'll remember. He can show his scars to his grandchildren with pride. "And I got this crooked nose when a kind neighbor learned me not to stick it in his business...."

Regarding the post above, if 250 people wanted chickens, they should just get them. Two hundred fifty households is a force to be reckoned with. I daresay the little minions wouldn't lock them all up. And I'm sure they would hesitate to come remove them by force.

Last edited:
My friend lives in pasco county and she has 4 hens. Her grumpy neighbor turned her into the housing authority and now we have to drive from Texas to Florida and back to move them here or else pay a $500 fine per day! Any advice?

I live on a rural residential property in unincorporated Pasco County. My neighbors just complained about the smell of my coop, which my husband and I feel is non-existent. They have threatened to call the county if we don't get rid of our chickens ASAP. I am planning to give the chickens away, but keep the coop and all the stuff we invested in and instead get the law changed in Pasco County. Has anyone tried to do this before, or anyone else from other jurisdictions (especially in Florida?) have advice for how to go about approaching the BOCC? City of Tampa, Hillsborough County and even Dade City (incorporated municipality within Pasco County), have all changed their ordinances (Dade City in the process now) of allowing small coops in residential neighborhoods. Is there any interest out there for doing this? Does anyone know where I could start getting signatures, etc.? I am so disappointed to lose my four little ladies, but I feel sure I can get the law changed since that seems to be the way my area is heading, as all surrounding counties/municipalities have joined the "urban chicken" movement. Any advice to get me started would be very much appreciated.
I wouldn't give my chickens up for anyone, tell them to move to the city if they don't like it. Don't let them bully you into giving them up, thats your egg source.

Back
Top Bottom