Outdated Peanuts for Chickens?

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I suspect many people are restocking their shelves due to the Coronavirus situation. I was going through our cupboards and found a few plastic jars of outdated peanuts. I have salted peanuts, roasted peanuts, and honey roasted peanuts that are outdated. I am wondering if I can feed these outdated peanuts to my chickens as they are, if it is possible to wash/clean/prep the peanuts for the chickens, compost the old peanuts, or if I should just throw them out in the yard for the squirrels and wild birds.

My first choice would be to chop the peanuts up in blender, as they are, and mix the bits in with their daily chicken scratch.

My second choice would be to wash the salt off the peanuts, dry them, and then chop them in the blender and mix the bits in with their daily chicken scratch.

My third choice would be to throw them out in the yard for the squirrels and wild birds.

My last choice would be just to dump them in a compost pile.

I know chickens can eat peanuts, but I was concerned about the salt on the peanuts. Or maybe it's not a big deal if small amonts are mixed in with their daily chicken scratch. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I suspect many people are restocking their shelves due to the Coronavirus situation. I was going through our cupboards and found a few plastic jars of outdated peanuts. I have salted peanuts, roasted peanuts, and honey roasted peanuts that are outdated. I am wondering if I can feed these outdated peanuts to my chickens as they are, if it is possible to wash/clean/prep the peanuts for the chickens, compost the old peanuts, or if I should just throw them out in the yard for the squirrels and wild birds.

My first choice would be to chop the peanuts up in blender, as they are, and mix the bits in with their daily chicken scratch.

My second choice would be to wash the salt off the peanuts, dry them, and then chop them in the blender and mix the bits in with their daily chicken scratch.

My third choice would be to throw them out in the yard for the squirrels and wild birds.

My last choice would be just to dump them in a compost pile.

I know chickens can eat peanuts, but I was concerned about the salt on the peanuts. Or maybe it's not a big deal if small amonts are mixed in with their daily chicken scratch. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
I don't think the salt will be an issue, especially considering that the peanuts are not their primary diet. My chickens were never interested in any kind of nuts, peanuts or otherwise, but if you blend it up and mix it with scratch then I think they would eat it.

The previous owner of our house fed the squirrels peanuts, and those things last forever! We have been here 8 years and still find the occasional peanut when working in the garden.

I don't think the salt will be an issue, especially considering that the peanuts are not their primary diet. My chickens were never interested in any kind of nuts, peanuts or otherwise, but if you blend it up and mix it with scratch then I think they would eat it.

Thanks. My main concern was the salt. It will interesting to see if the chickens even eat the peanuts. But mixing it in with their scratch may encourage them to try it.

Back
Top Bottom