feeding chickens alfalfa

Areyoucluckingme

Chirping
Jun 14, 2022
Hello all -

I'm wanting to hear from those of you who have personal experience feeding chickens alfalfa. It seems like it would be a cost effective way to get them a protein source and one that would entertain them for a long time. I am hoping to try it with my chickens and I'm thinking a fresh bale would be best. The "chop" hay usually has molasses and other additives, the pellets would have to be soaked, whereas the bale would be fresh and leafy. I'm a horse person so I'm quite familiar with all the various alfalfa products offered. EDT: I wouldn't be replacing their regular food with this, just FYI. This would be just a thing on the side they could snack on whenver they feel like it.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Hello all -

I'm wanting to hear from those of you who have personal experience feeding chickens alfalfa. It seems like it would be a cost effective way to get them a protein source and one that would entertain them for a long time. I am hoping to try it with my chickens and I'm thinking a fresh bale would be best. The "chop" hay usually has molasses and other additives, the pellets would have to be soaked, whereas the bale would be fresh and leafy. I'm a horse person so I'm quite familiar with all the various alfalfa products offered. EDT: I wouldn't be replacing their regular food with this, just FYI. This would be just a thing on the side they could snack on whenver they feel like it.

Thoughts? Experiences?
I have used the chopped alfalfa in the dark green bag from TS before. Just a few handfuls at a time

https://www.feedtables.com/content/...erial part of alfalfa,protein (in dry matter).

It's not really that high in protien. 20% in dry matter is just OK..... not fantastic. There isn't much data on the bioavailability of its protien in chickens.

Meat, dairy, soy meal, meat and bone meal are better protien boosts...... due to better amino profiles.

My chooks love it fresh. Not so fussed on it dry in the form of chaff or soaked cubes.

As a bail it's good entertainment. But even a cheap bail of straw or cane mulch is good entertainment also.

Back
Top Bottom