Our mystery bantams - breed and sex?

SpazzDaUni

Chirping
Apr 27, 2021
Tennessee
Hello everyone! This is my first post, aside from introduction, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. Lol.

This is a group photo of the whole Bantam crew, as well as a photo of our most likely cockerel (it's begun to "crow" rather poorly lol), and the other possible cockerel (no "crowing" but that comb though, right?).

The gray baby is a Easter Egger sex-link pullet, and the still fuzzy one is our youngest, a Buff Brahma (it's not feathery enough to sex, I think?) However, we need your help with our four lovely TSC mysteries! As you can see from the aerial shot, three are almost identical, and the other one is similar but a much richer brown/less gray. We have no clue what breed they could possibly be. Also, as mentioned, the two individual photos are of the suspected cockerels, but confirmation is appreciated. The other two mysteries have almost no comb, and the little they have is very yellow - not a touch of pink.

Any help is appreciated! If we have more than one cockerel, we'd like to make sure they have bachelor pads to prevent fighting. And knowing the breed would be nice so we can make sure they have the things they need to thrive.

I've also included some baby photos, if that helps. *RIP to the Frizzle and Silkie we lost.* :(

So, who are these four little mysteries?? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_002514211.jpg
    IMG_20210429_002514211.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210429_002733157.jpg
    IMG_20210429_002733157.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210429_002926525.jpg
    IMG_20210429_002926525.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20210414_090930142.jpg
    IMG_20210414_090930142.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210414_091034230.jpg
    IMG_20210414_091034230.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 28
Would better pictures help in the identification? We're new to having a chicken family, and we're still learning, so we haven't really moved them from the room we initially put the brooder in. We were thinking about taking them outside this evening for a bit. Would outdoor, full light pictures help? I have two little ones who are excited to know who their chicken siblings are! 😂

*I learned how to edit. Lol.

What color are their legs? That is important in identifying breed. If the legs are white or pinking white, then they are probably old English game bantams. If the legs are yellow or greenish, then maybe Easter eggers.

As far as sexing goes, you want to watch the chest area of those particular birds because the males and females will have different colors there. Females should have salmon feathers in that area. If you see solid black feathers coming in, then those are males.

What color are their legs? That is important in identifying breed. If the legs are white or pinking white, then they are probably old English game bantams. If the legs are yellow or greenish, then maybe Easter eggers.

As far as sexing goes, you want to watch the chest area of those particular birds because the males and females will have different colors there. Females should have salmon feathers in that area. If you see solid black feathers coming in, then those are males.
We're currently outside with them (for the first time!) And under sunlight, the three silver looking ones have yellow-pink legs. The other one, it has green-grey legs. So, possibly three English, and one possible Easter?

Photo is of one of the possible English roos, next to my sex-link Easter Egger. They look dark, so definitely a roo?

The next photo is of the one with the greenish legs. So female?

Sorry to ask so much. Learning takes time I guess. 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_175951144.jpg
    IMG_20210501_175951144.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210501_182425018.jpg
    IMG_20210501_182425018.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
We're currently outside with them (for the first time!) And under sunlight, the three silver looking ones have yellow-pink legs. The other one, it has green-grey legs. So, possibly three English, and one possible Easter?

Photo is of one of the possible English roos, next to my sex-link Easter Egger. They look dark, so definitely a roo?

The next photo is of the one with the greenish legs. So female?

Sorry to ask so much. Learning takes time I guess. 😂
The one you're holding in your hand on the right is a definite pullet-- she's probably an Easter egger, but Dutch bantam is another possibility.

In the picture on the left, things are unclear at this point. I would lean pullet because of the lack of solid black feathers at the breast. Breed is questionable. Probably a hatchery type OEGB. The blue bird next to her can't be sexed in this manner. It looks like an Easter egger.

The one you're holding in your hand on the right is a definite pullet-- she's probably an Easter egger, but Dutch bantam is another possibility.

In the picture on the left, things are unclear at this point. I would lean pullet because of the lack of solid black feathers at the breast. Breed is questionable. Probably a hatchery type OEGB. The blue bird next to her can't be sexed in this manner. It looks like an Easter egger.
I'll look into Dutch bantams and see if this lovely lady is more Dutch or Egger. I'm glad that she may very well be a pullet! :)

So if that one is a type of OEGB, then so are the other two. And I guess more time is need for the feathers to come in, so I can correctly sex them. What age would the black and salmon feathers really come in?

And you're correct, the blue lady is an Easter Egger. Lol Her name is Downy. She's a Meyer Hatchery exclusive, and therefore the only one I know the breed and sex. They breed them to be sex-link, so the females are born blue and the males are born barred. I paid way too much for her, especially with a 66% death rate in my Meyer's shipments, but we love her to pieces.

I'll look into Dutch bantams and see if this lovely lady is more Dutch or Egger. I'm glad that she may very well be a pullet! :)

So if that one is a type of OEGB, then so are the other two. And I guess more time is need for the feathers to come in, so I can correctly sex them. What age would the black and salmon feathers really come in?

And you're correct, the blue lady is an Easter Egger. Lol Her name is Downy. She's a Meyer Hatchery exclusive, and therefore the only one I know the breed and sex. They breed them to be sex-link, so the females are born blue and the males are born barred. I paid way too much for her, especially with a 66% death rate in my Meyer's shipments, but we love her to pieces.
Hi cute babies!! Just curious if Downy is the Steel Egger Meyer offers? I tried to get one, but they were sold out for the year, the first week of Feb *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom