Deathlayer mix cockerel, mixed with what?

NewJourney

Chirping
Jul 4, 2023
Pahrump, NV
I hatched ebay eggs about 9-10 weeks ago. I recently sold most of them, I kept two. I believed both of these to be pullets. I was wrong. I have one of each. The one in question is the cockerel, though both are unknown breed mixes. The person I purchased the eggs from mentioned having Deathlayers from Greenfire Farms, Ayam Cemani (that supposedly don't mix with the others), some bantam Cochins, Silkies, a few types of Marans, a Marans Leghorn mix and a few other breeds I can't think of at the moment.

The cockerel has been crowing each morning before I open the brooder door to let them into the run. I believed the crowing was from our Polish cockerel but nope, it's this one I believe to be a Deathlayer mix. These are photos/screenshots taken from video.

He has a cushion or rose comb (I'm new to learning about types of combs), four toes, lightly feathered feet/legs, and black legs and feet. His black/darker feathers are iridescent and shimmer purple and green in different angles of lighting.

IMG_3683.PNG

IMG_3684.PNG

IMG_3685.PNG

IMG_3686.PNG

IMG_3687.PNG

IMG_3689.PNG

IMG_3691.PNG

I believe this was the same chicken when they were 2-3 weeks old(?):
IMG_3695.PNG

IMG_3697.PNG

He does look like a Deathlayer mix, and it would have to be with something with feathered legs, probably Silkie. I believe the gene for 5 toes is dominant, but the Silkie parent itself could have been mixed, and that may explain why he only has the four toes. Cochin or Marans are possible, too, but the comb seems to me to be intermediate between a rose comb and a Silkie type comb.

Back
Top Bottom