Our Barred Rock 'hen' just started crowing this morning.... uh oh.

percy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 11, 2009
We've been living in denial about our 'butch hen' but this morning he started to convince us & unfortunately the neighbors that he's a Roo.
We should have known when the kids named 'her' "Rocky".
We have 6 birds all together & they are 4 months old & no one is laying yet.
I think we have to get rid of the roo..... we're bummed.
so i just want to be absolutely sure before we make the call....
Is there any way for a hen to be making random early morning crowing noises like a rooster - i know, long shot.
If "Rocky" is indeed a roo, could he have done any fertilizing of our hens already, even if they haven't started to lay....
and finally, any suggestions on how to transport a rooster back to the feed store??? box?
Thanks!

Cockeral.
SDC10041.jpg

Pullet.
IMG_0700.jpg

See the difference?

pic coming momentarily....
Thanks... she/he's definitely more white with black....

You don't want or can't have roos because of the noise issue, then whether the bird is a hen or not is not really an issue. Your neighbors aren't going to like a crowing hen any more
wink.png
But, the picture is pretty obviously a roo. At 4 months, he probably has fertilized the hens, if they can be fertilized. They are probably not laying because it is winter. If you want fertilized eggs, then keep him around for another month or two. But, once crowing starts, it usually only gets more frequent. If he is otherwise, non-aggressive, you could probably adopt him out or sell him.

Here he is:
BTW, our local feed store where we got our chicks is "rooster full" & can't take him back unless someone comes in & buys one of theirs.
so, for now, were baking cookies for the neighbors.
If anyone in or near San Diego wants a beautiful / handsome BR Let Me Know...
42766__mg_8180.jpg

42766__mg_8176.jpg

42766__mg_8165.jpg

Back
Top Bottom