Orange Mottled Chicken!

I love the coloring. I was part of a group trying to import Swedish Flower hens a few years ago but we weren't successful.
I wish we were closer.
Thanks for another idea.

Quote:
I heard about that . . . if anyone ever does manage to import them, these might be a great addition to help diversify bloodlines.

Let me know if anything ever comes of the Swedish imports - that's all I really wanted in the first place, LOL, but once I found they weren't available in the United States, decided to try and re-create it here at home?

The 55 gold flowery leghorn was produced by Martin Silverrud and is an autosexing breed.

The flowery leghorn carries barring, mottling and wild type genes. The birds in the picture appear to be wheaten or wild type, mottled and columbian restricted. She has some stippling on her back, tail coverts and tail, that makes me think she is wild type.

What was the down color of the birds as a chick?

You could breed flowery leghorns type birds from your stock. You would need a crele leghorn to breed with the birds you have. Finding a crele leghorn may be difficult. You should be able to find a crele old english game bird. The OEGB has the wild type gene and the barring gene you would need to make the bird.

Rhode island red are genetically close to the bird you have and would make a good cross to increase size and egg laying ability.

You could increase size and pick up the barring gene from a delaware cross. If you cross a female delaware with your male , all of the females will not be mottled but will carry the barring gene and be red. The males will look like male delawares but will have straw coloring in their hackles. You can then back cross the female offspring to the male or make a sibling cross to get red , mottled and barred offspring.

Tim

Quote:
Hey Tim,

You seem to know a lot more than I do about chicken genetics! I wasn't trying for the barring gene, just the mottling, but the barring popped out of the Banty hen's lines. Figured I could breed that out when I could? Not that it's terrible, just makes the mottling harder to see.

Kona and Ginger looked terribly boring as chicks. I didn't think they were mottled. They were mostly dark blackish brown, with light bellies. Ginger had a slightly reddish head, but it wasn't bright orange as a chick, like a dark rust color. I was absolutely shocked when she started to get that incredible color! It was pretty late before it showed!

Those two looked nothing like the fancy "tuxedo" markings on the Exchequer chicks.

Now I know to be patient, and try to grow out even more of the "boring" looking chicks. Even if I don't really have room . . . find a home for them at a neighbors, a friend's, somewhere, because a hidden "jewel" like that may be lurking in there!

One of my goals is to produce a red/white "checkered" chicken that would look a lot like this mutt on Feathersite, seen here:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Colombia/BRKCriolla.html

Look at "La Pecosa" the hen seen 6th from the top.

I'd like to create a really bright red/white mottled with little or no black, just like her but with a regular upright comb.

I'm going to hatch out some New Hampshire Reds, because they have a brighter body color than the RIR's. (It's important to me to make these as different looking from Speckled Sussex as I can.)

But, I've also seen some RIR X Buff Orp crosses, that end up a brilliant orangey color, with absolutely no black. (Would also be good layers, I imagine.) So I also just bought some Buff Orp eggs from quality stock with really bright, deep golden buff color.

My thought is to cross the brownish/orangeish mottled hens with a NHR roo, and cross the Buff Orp hens with the orangey mottled rooster, and backcross the two lines to aid in genetic diversity.

Then maybe add some high-producing RIR to the mottled stock at the end to bump up a final shot of egg production? Would that work?

Do you know if I crossed two "solid" looking chicks, with mottling on one parent's side, would any of the chicks display mottling themselves? Or do I need to cross a mottled looking one with a solid one with mottled background, in order to get the mottling to appear? (Basically, can recessive mottling show up, even if neither parent displays it, if two of the "grandchickens" were mottled?)

The other goal is to get blue/white mottled, but I don't want to get a lot of Splash in there as it would be impossible to tell if they were mottled, so I'll be avoiding a lot of blue-to-blue crosses.

I was thinking of taking the 3/4 Exchequer roo to some blue orp and blue birchen Marans (eggs are on the way for these breeds) and keeping some blue stock from those, that hopefully will carry the Mottled gene. Later bring in some Black Austrolorp for size and eggs? (Or go the other way and work on basically black mottled Austrolorp crosses, then add blue tones.)

My biggest problem is lack of space - I'm in an urban backyard! I wish I had an acre or two of land, with about five good sized pens, then I could really do something.

But, I'm hoping with neighbors and friends to help, I can maybe expand on this project. I'll have free eggs to share to hatchaholics when I finally hatch enough out here - will need some help to make this work since I don't have the room to house more than maybe 25 chickens total?

Hoping that once I have enough mottled hens that reach adulthood, enough to get some quantity of eggs to share, I can (hopefully) find a few folks who might want to specialize on getting one particular color - like buff/white, blue/white, bigger black/white, etc. Then I could try and get eggs back from those folks in the future, and by sharing the eggs, everybody could make faster progress.

But first I just need to get a LOT more mottled hens! I had a bumper crop of mostly black and white roos this year, lol. So that's my first goal - more girls in general. Especially ones that do not show pure black and white, since the black and white is so dominant over all the other colors. Got five chicks hatched and a full incubator of 40 eggs in right now.

With the kind of luck I had last spring, that means I'll probably end up with 30 extra roos. (snort.) Free roosters for everybody in Arizona! Ha ha ha!!!

And the coolest hen so far, the orangey girl, she hasn't started laying yet. Neither has the little mottled banty, she's still on strike. Maybe this spring, I hope?

Sommer

You need to breed in the dominant white gene and that will get rid of the black in your chickens.

I would suggest you breed your birds with a female red sex linked cross that carries dominant white. This will improve egg laying ability and increase the size. The dominant white will get rid of the black in the bird. Red sex linkes that have white in their tails and wings (white tailed red) are the bird you want. The more red the better. Picking a bird that has quit a bit of white would have plenty of black under the white and that would effect the color of your birds on down the line in your breeding regimen.

The dominant white will tend to fade the red in a bird. If you are going for a buff color use the New Hamp. If you can find an adult male, pick one that is real orange looking and that will give you a different color and get away from the red.

You could use the buff orpington also but the genetics of the buff color is more complicated than the new hampshire, I would suggest not using the orpington..

Stop crossing to the black and mottled birds and stick with the sussex (red mottled), red sex linked birds and new hampshire.

I would cross your red mottled male bird with a few red sex linked females (white tailed red).

The red sex linked birds only carry one dominant white so half of the chicks will be black tailed red and the other half will be white tailed red. No mottling in the chicks.

Then back cross the white tailed red offspring to your red mottled birds. Some (about 1/4) of the offspring will be the color you want; red and mottled with no black.

The next cross would involve crossing with the new hampshire.

Cross the red and mottled with no black offspring (white tailed ) to a new hampshire.

Take the white tailed offspring from the above cross and back cross them to the red and mottled with no black(white tailed ) parent.

This cross will produce birds like the ones you want. Then select for the color you want and cross,until you get what you want.

Tim

Last edited:
Why email? I am sure several of us sitting on sidelines would be interested in any questions and answers..

I did wonder if New Hampshire would work for this project- they have this nice orange color the person might want.. did not think of dominant white, that's an excellent idea. It's responses like this that make me slightly disappointed when people take it to private messages or email.. ideas or valuable info just aren't accessible to others..

Hey Kev,

No, please post here with genetics info! I have a lot to learn and Tim's stuff is fascinating and great for everyone to hear!

I just meant email for private queries from people who live in Phoenix, who may want free roo's or whatnot . . . I welcome ALL the genetics/breedings ideas to be posted up here for sure!!!

I know a TON about color genetics in mammals, especially horses, cats and dogs. But chicken (any bird) genetics is new territory for me!

Sommer

Back
Top Bottom