Oops, I did it again...

That... sounds a lot like a myth. all my teenage red EEs had red patches and they were hens and fantastic layers!
Not a myth. Male easter eggers typically (not always) get red patches on the wings and shoulders (and sometimes saddles and hackles later). Females often get salmon breasts. Roosters can never get salmon breasts and hens can never have red patches on the shoulders, so it is an easy way to sex easter eggers early.

It doesn't work on solid red easter eggers or EEs with a pattern that has a lot of red. Those will always have red patches growing up, regardless of sex.

Not a myth. Male easter eggers typically (not always) get red patches on the wings and shoulders (and sometimes saddles and hackles later). Females often get salmon breasts. Roosters can never get salmon breasts and hens can never have red patches on the shoulders, so it is an easy way to sex easter eggers early.

It doesn't work on solid red easter eggers or EEs with a pattern that has a lot of red. Those will always have red patches growing up, regardless of sex.
Oh! Well, my EEs patterns are egg-stremely red.

Fingers crossed then that Sadie’s reddish patch on her breast means 100% pullet! I hope she keeps her cheeks when her head feathers out.

Today, give or take, marks week four of my girls’ :fl lives. It’s been cold and rainy here in the Northeast for the past two days, so they’ve been stuck in their big brooder in the basement instead of outside, where they want to be
1BE84779-F981-48C5-8862-EBD9F677D05B.jpeg

I have been calling the Brahma Sasquatch, though nothing is yet official. She is the easiest of the four to capture and seems pretty relaxed for a chicken.
6FAA1BA2-A4BF-47A6-A28E-5FF06C495F21.jpeg

Maniacal, the Silver Laced Wyandotte, is shaping up to be boss pullet right now. She likes to roost at night now instead of huddling under the Brinsea radiant warming plate with the others. I think she’s going to give my big girls a run for their money once everyone is integrated.
C202FFBA-5BBC-43EB-B123-BED9BA1825AB.jpeg

This is one of the two Easter egger straight runs, and she’s looking pretty pullet to me right now. She’s kind of skittish and, although she’ll tolerate handling, she’d much prefer if we just left her alone.
0F8F4ED0-368D-42BA-8919-DE39794FEE83.jpeg
15325AA8-77D7-4999-852B-3E7A518F0CAB.jpeg

And finally, sweet Sadie, my second straight run Easter egger, who also looks to be on team pullet. I feel less guilty now for asking the TSC employee to chase VERY specific chicks down from inside the big brooder, because I think I may have managed to defy the odds and get two girls from a straight run batch. That means the Brahma and the Wyandotte, advertised as pullets, will probably end up cockerels. :rolleyes:

Today, give or take, marks week four of my girls’ :fl lives. It’s been cold and rainy here in the Northeast for the past two days, so they’ve been stuck in their big brooder in the basement instead of outside, where they want to be
View attachment 2613358
I have been calling the Brahma Sasquatch, though nothing is yet official. She is the easiest of the four to capture and seems pretty relaxed for a chicken.View attachment 2613363
Maniacal, the Silver Laced Wyandotte, is shaping up to be boss pullet right now. She likes to roost at night now instead of huddling under the Brinsea radiant warming plate with the others. I think she’s going to give my big girls a run for their money once everyone is integrated.
View attachment 2613378
This is one of the two Easter egger straight runs, and she’s looking pretty pullet to me right now. She’s kind of skittish and, although she’ll tolerate handling, she’d much prefer if we just left her alone.
View attachment 2613381View attachment 2613383
And finally, sweet Sadie, my second straight run Easter egger, who also looks to be on team pullet. I feel less guilty now for asking the TSC employee to chase VERY specific chicks down from inside the big brooder, because I think I may have managed to defy the odds and get two girls from a straight run batch. That means the Brahma and the Wyandotte, advertised as pullets, will probably end up cockerels. :rolleyes:
Sadie along with (hopefully) her sisters are so cute!! Adorable teenagers.

Week five already, and very soon the chicks will be big enough to be outside full-time. The weather here has been crazy, going from near 70° to almost freezing, and there’s a possibility of snow this Thursday so I’m going to wait until next week to fully integrate them. I’ll wait until next week to post photos on the “What gender am I” thread as well, even though I’m dying to know what everyone thinks!
DD5610DF-0F52-4BC6-86F1-67A0318332C9.jpeg

Here’s the big Brahma, feathering out nicely.
545A1F72-02D2-44AC-9319-032D203857E9.jpeg

Maniacal still is proving herself to be the leader of the pack. She’s very curious about the world.
915DAFC6-7A67-482C-AFFE-B78F60CD5C35.jpeg
One of the two straight run “Ameraucanas”, and it has been fun watching the feathering develop on this one.
45F01A36-1A3A-4BE6-928D-249C763F4D38.jpeg

and, of course, cheeky little Sadie. ❤️
DD4F8CBF-F613-4916-9A32-8CE569405651.jpeg

Because they insist on it, here’s the rest of my backyard flock.
7049CDCD-3EA6-4824-A3AC-2E504CD39370.jpeg

Wynona was one of a small flock given to me by a friend back in 2016. They’re all around 6 years old but still laying plenty of green eggs for us. She came along with Patsy, Loretta, and June, below.
11FB1216-9CBC-4C95-B8C9-15BB80DCEBB7.jpeg

D55AD88A-F016-4E3C-9D76-D49352D4EEBB.jpeg

2D25135B-D81B-4593-B37D-A5D8A59DDB20.jpeg

Megalodon, or Meg, is the boss hen of the group - she is an Asian sex link I got from TSC with a group of mystery chicks, none of whom turned out to be what they were supposed to. I think she’s very pretty and I love the green sheen on her feathers.
5764B88F-24C8-4DAE-8C08-488282C28FF8.jpeg

And finally, my very favorite girl, Fatty, my Dominique, who was supposed to be something else. She is the sweetest, most laid back chicken, and she loves to hang out with me whenever I pay the girls a visit.
68783696-E92F-4491-9A10-9CACF7C9DB1F.jpeg
Sometimes the other girls get a little jealous of Fatty. :lau
12454911-11CA-4874-9A58-BDBF47A7DEF7.jpeg

I should mention that the construction debris is because we are building a new, more spacious coop for our girls - they don’t usually scrounge around in discarded lumber!

Back
Top Bottom