One of my hens is a mean rooster!

brigburke

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2019
Fischer, Texas
I just realized my 7mo old Ameracauna hen is actually a rooster, which was a surprise. Now he is hurting one of my hens. I included 2 photos. What should I do? Right now, I left him in the run and the girls are locked in the coop.
lizzie1.jpg
lizzie2.jpg
I sprayed her injury with vetyricin and applied some neosporin..anything else I should do?

She'll be ok. Just watch for infection. They heal pretty quick.

Cockerels tend to go through an obnoxious hormonal teenage phase where they are rough on the ladies and can go after humans. They tend to chill out by one year old but some stay jerks. So you can get rid of him or wait it out with him seperated from the flock by a fence so they can still see each other. Every once in a while let him back in and see how it goes.

I know some hens have large combs, but you picture of your hen, almost looks like it could be a cockerel? Are all your birds the same age, is this a bird you know is a hen? If it is another cockerel that may be why they are fighting? A whole body shot would be helpful. I could be very wrong as I know some hens have some bigger headgear, but these pictures just make me suspicious...

She'll be ok. Just watch for infection. They heal pretty quick.

Cockerels tend to go through an obnoxious hormonal teenage phase where they are rough on the ladies and can go after humans. They tend to chill out by one year old but some stay jerks. So you can get rid of him or wait it out with him seperated from the flock by a fence so they can still see each other. Every once in a while let him back in and see how it goes.
Thank you, I'll try that! He's really pretty, but I guess he knows that!

That’s a big comb on your hen... but it should heal rather quickly. If you’re really worried, you can reapply Neosporin tomorrow too. Your rooster is being mean, but how? They may be establishing their pecking order.
I think it just looks bigger because of all the blood and missing feathers. I didn't see him do it, but only guessing.. because I saw him chasing her earlier and her running away really fast

I know some hens have large combs, but you picture of your hen, almost looks like it could be a cockerel? Are all your birds the same age, is this a bird you know is a hen? If it is another cockerel that may be why they are fighting? A whole body shot would be helpful. I could be very wrong as I know some hens have some bigger headgear, but these pictures just make me suspicious...
The hens are older, we got them already laying. The rooster (that we thought was a hen) was only 2 mo old I think? I think her comb looks bigger because of all the blood and missing feathers. She is definitely a hen though, shes in the nesting box right now

Back
Top Bottom