One of my duckling died leaving the other alone. What do I do??

HatchingDucklings123

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2022
I recently hatched two ducklings. They are now three weeks old and suddenly one of the ducklings died. They were both happy and healthy. A day ago I walked in and found one dead in the middle of the day. I don’t know what happened to him or why. Though this left my other duckling alone. He has become very aggressive and hostile towards me. I know ducks are very sociable animals. So I tried looking for any ducklings or chicks in my area but I could not find any. I don’t know what to do. I don’t want this duckling to die of loneliness. How do I keep him happy and healthy by himself? What should I do?

I recently hatched two ducklings. They are now three weeks old and suddenly one of the ducklings died. They were both happy and healthy. A day ago I walked in and found one dead in the middle of the day. I don’t know what happened to him or why. Though this left my other duckling alone. He has become very aggressive and hostile towards me. I know ducks are very sociable animals. So I tried looking for any ducklings or chicks in my area but I could not find any. I don’t know what to do. I don’t want this duckling to die of loneliness. How do I keep him happy and healthy by himself? What should I do?
Advertise for two replacement ducklings on your state thread in this forum. Contact your local wildlife rehabber as they may have ducklings needing a home. Many duck keepers advertise on Craig's list and local social media like local Facebook pages/groups and NextDoor.

I had a lone rescue duckling in July 2021 and got two companions from my local wildlife rehabber: a pekin with a damaged bill and a muscovy that could not be released. They are los tres amigos now!

I'm sorry that happened to you, try and find it a couple of companions. Maybe on Craigslist or at TSC. Good luck finding it some buddies!

Advertise for two replacement ducklings on your state thread in this forum. Contact your local wildlife rehabber as they may have ducklings needing a home. Many duck keepers advertise on Craig's list and local social media like local Facebook pages/groups and NextDoor.

I had a lone rescue duckling in July 2021 and got two companions from my local wildlife rehabber: a pekin with a damaged bill and a muscovy that could not be released. They are los tres amigos now!
Ok I will try that! Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Do also you happen to know how I can get him more comfortable with me? He use to be very friendly and would cuddle and just follow me around and he has totally just turned into a whole new duckling I feel like.

Ok I will try that! Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Do also you happen to know how I can get him more comfortable with me? He use to be very friendly and would cuddle and just follow me around and he has totally just turned into a whole new duckling I feel like.
I’ve had this happen a couple of times and it can be hard for the lone duckling til you find it some friends. In the past I’ve used a stuff animal and a mirror. The stuffed animal is good for cuddling and the mirror seems to help the duckling feel not alone seeing it self in the mirror. Hope this helps!

I
I’ve had this happen a couple of times and it can be hard for the lone duckling til you find it some friends. In the past I’ve used a stuff animal and a mirror. The stuffed animal is good for cuddling and the mirror seems to help the duckling feel not alone seeing it self in the mirror. Hope this helps!
I put the mirror in and he seems to like it! Should the stuff animal be the same size as him? Thank you so much! I have raised chickens my whole life but this is my first time with ducks so any information really helps!

My rescue last july had a huge soft toy duck to cuddle. It could have been a soft teddy bear, the duckling didnt care. It was a duck as it was donated by a neighbor's child. My rescued duckling slept on it with his face buried under an armpit!

Also try keeping your duckling higher up than the floor. I put my brooder on two dining chairs right next to me when I was working on my laptop. The duckling may be less frightened of you if brooded closer to your height

My rescue last july had a huge soft toy duck to cuddle. It could have been a soft teddy bear, the duckling didnt care. It was a duck as it was donated by a neighbor's child. My rescued duckling slept on it with his face buried under an armpit!

Also try keeping your duckling higher up than the floor. I put my brooder on two dining chairs right next to me when I was working on my laptop. The duckling may be less frightened of you if brooded closer to your height
Ok I will do that! Thank you so much! I was feeling so defeated and was honestly just worried I would lose him too. I have become so attached to this little duckling and I don’t want to lose him too. This community is so helpful and thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom