***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Thank You. I've been studying those styrofoam ones out tonight. Probably go a step up and get one with the auto turner and forced air. Looking hard at the Hovabator 2362E Turbovator... One or two successful hatches should turn out enough pullets to get me going. Last years purchase gave me 6 pullets, and they all did well until this fall, and then for one reason or another I lost all but one hen. This Springs purchase is a repeat with only 6 pullets. So far they are doing well, and I've been able to just stay ahead of the predators.

Who got snow? My daughter lives in Shawnee and sent a text of snow coming down. I live a few miles east and didn't have any. (For which I was grateful.). My pond didn't quite overflow. I'm in the process of doing some work in the back yard so it's a quagmire and it's going to be several days till I get back in there.

No snow here, but we've had enough wind to relocate trampolines, trash cans, outbuildings, and other non-flight-approved structures.

One of my chicken tractors turned over in the wind and rain last night. I had fifty little cockerels in it. I lost about half to hypothermia. Early this morning I found the tractor on its side, with the heat lamp still working, and about twenty-five frightened but alive cockerels huddled in the capsized tractor house. The wind and rain blew some of the unfortunates several feet from the chicken tractor, so there's no way they could have found their way back to shelter and warmth. The other tractor didn't blow over, and I only lost one in that group. The little guy decided to sleep downstairs on the grass rather than upstairs in the house, and the wind and rain got him.

Anybody have ideas about an easy way to anchor the tractor before the next big wind? I move the tractors every three days so the birds can have clean, fresh grass, so it's got to be quick to set up each time the tractors are moved.

No snow here, but we've had enough wind to relocate trampolines, trash cans, outbuildings, and other non-flight-approved structures.

One of my chicken tractors turned over in the wind and rain last night. I had fifty little cockerels in it. I lost about half to hypothermia. Early this morning I found the tractor on its side, with the heat lamp still working, and about twenty-five frightened but alive cockerels huddled in the capsized tractor house. The wind and rain blew some of the unfortunates several feet from the chicken tractor, so there's no way they could have found their way back to shelter and warmth. The other tractor didn't blow over, and I only lost one in that group. The little guy decided to sleep downstairs on the grass rather than upstairs in the house, and the wind and rain got him.

Anybody have ideas about an easy way to anchor the tractor before the next big wind? I move the tractors every three days so the birds can have clean, fresh grass, so it's got to be quick to set up each time the tractors are moved.

Awe so sorry about your little guys.

Can you just weigh it down when we have wind predicted? Like a couple of cinder blocks or something? Stakes would be too cumbersome to move that often.

Hey everybody!
I have a friend looking for bantam trios for her kiddos to show. We're near central/south central Oklahoma, & I've been out of the loop so long that I don't even know who around here has what anymore. Lol. She said Barred Rocks, but then said she'd take any bantams if they'd be good for what they're doing.

Hope you guys are all getting ready for next week's possible winter weather!

Awe so sorry about your little guys.

Can you just weigh it down when we have wind predicted? Like a couple of cinder blocks or something? Stakes would be too cumbersome to move that often.
I put a cinderblock at each corner and tied a length of paracord across the front and back. I can't move the tractors now without undoing the paracord. It's not an elegant solution, but it's practical. Thanks for your suggestion : )

One of my chicken tractors turned over in the wind and rain last night.  I had fifty little cockerels in it.  I lost about half to hypothermia.  Early this morning I found the tractor on its side, with the heat lamp still working, and about twenty-five frightened but alive cockerels huddled in the capsized tractor house.   The wind and rain blew some of the unfortunates several feet from the chicken tractor, so there's no way they could have found their way back to shelter and warmth.  The other tractor didn't blow over, and I only lost one in that group.  The little guy decided to sleep downstairs on the grass rather than upstairs in the house, and the wind and rain got him.

Sorry to hear about your losses....that is a significant number!

Ansel and Pansy have a clutch of eggs hatching today and into the night.
Ansel stands guard on top of the nest box, Pansy puffs up double her size to intimidate me when I took a baby photo.

Whoo hoo Ansel is a daddy.

Coral so sorry about the young cockrels sounds like you have a solution figured out.

My rooster is not acting himself. He is a very predictable crower (same time, every day). He has not crowed at all, not once, since yesterday. I have seen him eating, drinking fine - no coughing or wheezing or discharge coming from anywhere - I have not seen him poop to check it - but he does seem lethargic, he is keeping to himself and not chasing the girls which is unusual. Any ideas? Anything I should give him?

Back
Top Bottom