***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Two incubators full and enough eggs for two more.....so thrilled by the new "used" incubator. Now need to move things around to get it set up in the hot tub room.

That's a beautiful incubator. Makes a person want to collect eggs
jumpy.gif

Each tray will hold 85 to 102 eggs depending on size. And the egg cups are plastic...easy to clean. The hatching trays have covers and dividers. Figuring out the bells and whistles is fun...
Eggs are sitting in the house waiting for a temperature check.

Each tray will hold 85 to 102 eggs depending on size. And the egg cups are plastic...easy to clean. The hatching trays have covers and dividers. Figuring out the bells and whistles is fun...
Eggs are sitting in the house waiting for a temperature check.
That's a lot of cheeper's to have all at once! Do you have more than one incubator?
I have gotten a few turkey eggs so far this year but now I have one nesting, but she isn't in a nest box (read plastic barrel) it's a new nest this evening so I'm thinking I'd be better off trying to move her. The floor of the turkey house is not good place for a nest. Unless someone has some experience with this I'm going to move her into a nest, lock her in until she lays a couple more eggs, then release her.

Before the cabinet, i was using two Hovabators to incubate and one Hovabator to hatch. And i kept two turners going for holding collecting eggs..getting 12 to 18 eggs a day from the breed pens. With the cabinet, i can fill a tray every 6 days.

I think the shirt says it all.

Last edited:
I have gotten a few turkey eggs so far this year but now I have one nesting, but she isn't in a nest box (read plastic barrel) it's a new nest this evening so I'm thinking I'd be better off trying to move her. The floor of the turkey house is not good place for a nest. Unless someone has some experience with this I'm going to move her into a nest, lock her in until she lays a couple more eggs, then release her.

The only experience I have with turkey was years ago...incubated wild Eastern Bronze eggs saved from a bulldozer. Was able to release all but one back into the wild. The one I kept back was one eyed after an injury from wood shavings as a poultry. Had to butcher him when he started booming at our 4 year old nephew. Tom thought the chickens were his and Austin was the same height as Tom....didn't want a challenge from a turkey to harm that sweet boy. Brined and roasted...great dinner.

Loving the rain this morning. The pond may overflow this afternoon.
Chickens won't go out much until the rain stops, but they are finding lots of spring grasses to nibble.
The broodies should begin hatching by the 25th.
Candled the eggs in the Hovabators yesterday. Fertility is better in the second batch after trimming those butt fluffs.
We already have 9 calves on the ground....with five more cows bagged and ready...then 36 more in the spring herd to go. Will be calving thru late June. Then the fall herd begins calving in mid September. We just took 12 calves to the stockyards this past weekend.

The only experience I have with turkey was years ago...incubated wild Eastern Bronze eggs saved from a bulldozer. Was able to release all but one back into the wild. The one I kept back was one eyed after an injury from wood shavings as a poultry. Had to butcher him when he started booming at our 4 year old nephew. Tom thought the chickens were his and Austin was the same height as Tom....didn't want a challenge from a turkey to harm that sweet boy. Brined and roasted...great dinner.

Loving the rain this morning. The pond may overflow this afternoon.
Chickens won't go out much until the rain stops, but they are finding lots of spring grasses to nibble.
The broodies should begin hatching by the 25th.
Candled the eggs in the Hovabators yesterday. Fertility is better in the second batch after trimming those butt fluffs.
We already have 9 calves on the ground....with five more cows bagged and ready...then 36 more in the spring herd to go. Will be calving thru late June. Then the fall herd begins calving in mid September. We just took 12 calves to the stockyards this past weekend.
I took a broad breasted bronze turkey to fridge camp this last weekend. Today he goes to oven school. I think I must be over feeding because he was so fat.
Trimming but fluffs? These past couple years I'm finding out how much I don't know! I won't let mine out until the rain stops. The turkeys don't have enough sense to stay out of the rain. The good thing is the Hawks don't fly in the rain much.

I took a broad breasted bronze turkey to fridge camp this last weekend. Today he goes to oven school. I think I must be over feeding because he was so fat.
Trimming but fluffs? These past couple years I'm finding out how much I don't know! I won't let mine out until the rain stops. The turkeys don't have enough sense to stay out of the rain. The good thing is the Hawks don't fly in the rain much.

On some very fluffy breeds, like cochins and English orps, there is so much "butt fluff" the rooster doesn't make contact when he mates which leads to low fertility in the eggs even though he's doing his job.

I haven't lurked here in quite a while. I don't have hens anymore but I use to enjoy being here. I remember several people here liking to use salvage material for building projects. We are preparing to put our house on the market so we are getting rid of a bunch of stuff. We have the 2x6 treated boards from a deck we removed if anyone is interested. I did pull the nails and screws out. They have a couple coats of paint on one side. There are over 25 pieces, mostly 8 to 10 feet long, a few 12 to 16 or longer. I would like to have 25 bucks for them. You may email me at: [email protected]. I check my mail a couple times daily and being retired am home most days. Hoping to get a few hens when we move back to Kansas.

I'm thinking about getting a small incubator. My Rhode Island Red Bantam pullets (6) have begun laying, and I'd like to raise more pullets. I've purchased two batches over the past two years, and the ratio has been like 11 roos, and 6 pullets. They always send a few extra. At that rate by the time they are old enough to lay, they are fairly valuable birds.
Any way, I haven't owned an incubator in many years, and that one was a Sears & Roebuck 600 egg cabinet style. All I'd like now is a small one for temporary use. I've read lots of reviews, and someone finds fault with all of them. It's like taking a shot in the dark on which to chose.

I'm thinking about getting a small incubator. My Rhode Island Red Bantam pullets (6) have begun laying, and I'd like to raise more pullets. I've purchased two batches over the past two years, and the ratio has been like 11 roos, and 6 pullets. They always send a few extra. At that rate by the time they are old enough to lay, they are fairly valuable birds.
Any way, I haven't owned an incubator in many years, and that one was a Sears & Roebuck 600 egg cabinet style. All I'd like now is a small one for temporary use. I've read lots of reviews, and someone finds fault with all of them. It's like taking a shot in the dark on which to chose.

The styrofoam ones (little giant, etc) from TSC or Atwoods do a decent job and tend to be pretty reliable if you want something economical. If you will contact your local Ag extention, they rent them out for something like $10 a month. DO NOT buy the knock off Ebay one, that's all plastic with a yellow plastic lid. They tend to work great for one or two hatches and then the thermostat goes out and they cook or freeze your eggs.

Back
Top Bottom