Okay, or not okay to use on chickens?

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Hello, was wondering if this Liquid Bandage product is safe to use for chickens, or not.

Ingredient Images.
20211113_121512.jpg
20211113_121338.jpg
20211113_121457.jpg

I would not. That usually has a strong smell to it. Aromatics are bad for chickens. Not sure about the ingredients, but when in doubt, don't.
Plain triple antibiotic ointment is fine to us, as is Betadine. Better yet, get some Vetericyn Wound Spray that says it is safe for avian species.
Always avoid anything with "caine" like benzocaine or lidocaine for chickens. It can be fatal as can tea tree oil if it's put directly on a chicken and they ingest it while grooming.

I would not. That usually has a strong smell to it. Aromatics are bad for chickens. Not sure about the ingredients, but when in doubt, don't.
Plain triple antibiotic ointment is fine to us, as is Betadine.
Always avoid anything with "caine" like benzocaine or lidocaine for chickens. It can be fatal as can tea tree oil if it's put directly on a chicken and they ingest it while grooming.
Benzethonium Chloride is an Antiseptic, not the same as Benzocaine which is a Anesthetic. Yes, I know Anesthetics with Caine can't be used on chickens.

Package doesn't specify, that it has an oder, so I'll have to check that out when I use it on a cut on myself first.

Benzethonium Chloride is an Antiseptic, not the same as Benzocaine which is a Anesthetic. Yes, I know Anesthetics with Caine can't be used on chickens.
I'm aware of that, was just adding extra information. I do not know about that antiseptic, per se, for use in avians. There are plenty of others that we know are safe. Any triple antibiotic ointment, even the one with the pram-something pain killer, is fine to use. Have done that many times are the others I mentioned.

This may help; apparently, it can be given to chickens in some form, but can build toxicity.​

Pathology of benzalkonium chloride toxicity and its effect on body weight gain in broiler birds​

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15587118/

I'm aware of that, was just adding extra information. I do not know about that antiseptic, per se, for use in avians. There are plenty of others that we know are safe. Any triple antibiotic ointment, even the one with the pram-something pain killer, is fine to use. Have done that many times are the others I mentioned.
It's okay.

I'm getting low on Triple Antibiotic Ointment, so I was hoping this maybe okay. I use plain none pain relief stuff.

I'll check out some other stuff after hear some other's opinions.

That stuff stings like CRAZY! I've used it (on myself) before. I won't again, that's for sure. Personally, I wouldn't use it on a chicken. I don't think it would stay put, tbh. But I don't know if it's toxic to chickens.

That stuff stings like CRAZY! I've used it (on myself) before. I won't again, that's for sure. Personally, I wouldn't use it on a chicken. I don't think it would stay put, tbh. But I don't know if it's toxic to chickens.
It does say it may sting alittle, on the box. Didn't think it'd sting that badly.

Back
Top Bottom