Official BYC Poll: How often do you change your chickens' water in hot weather?

How often do you change your chickens' water in hot weather?

• Multiple times a day

Votes: 55 27.1%
  • Once a day

Votes: 75 36.9%
  • Every other day

Votes: 27 13.3%
  • Twice a week

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Once a week

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Only when it looks dirty

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • Whenever the water level is low

Votes: 57 28.1%
  • When I remember

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I have an automatic waterer, so I rarely change it manually

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • I use a water additive to keep it fresh longer, so I change it less frequently

Votes: 7 3.4%

• Total voters
I have two 1 gal hanging waterers, a 5 gal nipple waterer, and two large open dishes on the property in shade.
The 5 gal gets topped off with cold water and splash of ACV every other day and changed/washed every other week. All of the others are refilled daily, and I add ice when it’s really hot.

Each of my runs has its own one-gallon waterer (typical chicken ones) and I have to fill it up every few days, unless the geese get in there and then :barnie. They are placed up on cement blocks so they don't get dirty as easily.
I also have several dishes spread out across the property because they free range all day. I don't try to keep any water especially clean or cool except for making sure it's in the shade. It's a failed effort due to the seven waterfowl :).

I fill mine usually every day in the summer because the desert heat just vaporizes the water. I have 2 3-gallon waterers, and 3 1-gallon waters for my current flock of 14. I've lost chickens to heatstroke before so I upped the amount of waters I have available and tried to put up more shade. I also put out a baby pool that they can use for additional cooling.

I have two different waterers I use in the warmer weather. They have access to their nipple buckets all year long and I only top that off when needed/empty it out when it gets gross. In the warmer weather, I give my girls one of those plastic trays that go in those plastic shelf things. I empty and refill that at least once a day. It's deep enough to hold a gallon of water but they can walk in it if they want, to cool off(out of three different flocks, I have yet to see one of them do that)

I fill my big five gallon as needed. It seems to keep the water relatively cool even directly under sun. It hasn't gotten real super hot yet here, so I don't know how it'll do in 100F weather.

Back
Top Bottom