Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Flies Out Of Your Coop?

How Do You Keep Flies Out Of Your Coop?

• I clean their coop regularly

Votes: 147 62.3%
  • I use sand on the coop floor to keep it dry and odorless

Votes: 50 21.2%
  • I have electric fly zappers in the coop

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • I grow carnivorous plants around the coop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use fans around the coop to keep the air moving

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I keep waterers out of the coop to avoid moisture

Votes: 69 29.2%
  • I clean up their left-over snacks and treats

Votes: 53 22.5%
  • I eliminate stagnant & pooling water

Votes: 75 31.8%
  • I breed fly predators such as non-stinging wasps

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • I've placed my compost pile far away from the coop & run

Votes: 62 26.3%
  • I use fly traps

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • I clean/dust their coop with repellants and/or pesticides

Votes: 32 13.6%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 37 15.7%

• Total voters
When I scoop poop under perches I use a 5 gal bucket. That bucket needs to be emptied immediately out to compost far from coop. If you leave a poop bucket in the coop, it will draw flies. If I do see flies, there aren't many, they seek out wetness, fresh poop, etc. A fly swatter & a sticky tape help.

What do you use the blue boxes for? Nesting?
Yes, I had these totes
IMG_0285.JPG
for nesting boxes for the last 7 years, but I needed more room in the coop. When I put a brooder in I was having to put it under part of the roost-
SO<
out with the totes and in with the Wal-Mart file baskets/ milk crates/ ???

The White Leghorns mostly use the top left and one hen likes the top right Hahahaha but sometimes the eggs are in the bottom ones.

I just moved the new chicks into the coop today, the Brown LH's are 3 weeks tomorrow and the 2 Red LH's & White Orp. are 2 weeks old Tues.
IMG_0748.JPG

I did move the water jug- So Rooster Bob has more room
IMG_0763.JPG

Yes, I had these totes
View attachment 2696139
for nesting boxes for the last 7 years, but I needed more room in the coop. When I put a brooder in I was having to put it under part of the roost-
SO<
out with the totes and in with the Wal-Mart file baskets/ milk crates/ ???

The White Leghorns mostly use the top left and one hen likes the top right Hahahaha but sometimes the eggs are in the bottom ones.

I just moved the new chicks into the coop today, the Brown LH's are 3 weeks tomorrow and the 2 Red LH's & White Orp. are 2 weeks old Tues.
View attachment 2696137

I did move the water jug- So Rooster Bob has more room
View attachment 2696138
Haha that’s awesome! We’re building our coop currently but I love innovative ways that don’t require wood!

I don't have a fly problem in the coop or run. I scoop poop daily, and they have the yard to explore, so they spend very little time in there.

The yard, however, is a completely different story. The chickens used to eat the flies, but they ignore them now. I'm thinking of getting flytraps, as flies are everywhere in the yard, mostly attracted to poop.

We live on a Dairy Farm. Cows equal lots and lots of flies everywhere.
I encourage the Barn Swallows to make nests anywhere they'd like. :D
I spray and use poultry dust in the coops. I have fans going.
And a not so secret weapon, something so strange but true... you probably won't believe it... but I hang these from the fans too... and replace them every couple of weeks...
1622429222089.png

Apparently flies hate vanilla. 🍦

And a not so secret weapon, something so strange but true... you probably won't believe it... but I hang these from the fans too... and replace them every couple of weeks...
View attachment 2696266
I like this idea. I love the smell of vanilla. 😊

I don’t have a fly issue in the ‘coop’, which is a combination of a tiny coop used for laying eggs with a small run + an extension originally build as a safe and covered extra run space. The extension is where they roost and poop and is extremely airy during summer. All 4 sides have air openings . So there’s always lots of fresh air coming in. Poop dries very quickly. In winter I block the cold wind with panels and only the south side is open.

On the coop floor I use sand.

In the outside run (no roof) there are flies wherever they pooped. The flies are natural dung cleaners. They are spot on and I don’t see the flies as an problem at all. .

View attachment 2696266
THis makes me think. Once you got the little sniffy cardboard. When it comes time to redo them, instead of paying a few dollars for a new one, be a cheap ass like me, add a few drops of vanilla extract maybe and that'd be the equiv of a refill, only cheaper?

Wondering if that'd work.
Aaron

Back
Top Bottom