Ended Official BYC 2021 Summer Fair—Standard-Bred Chicken Show

Thanks! I'm showing her this weekend. I'm glad breeding season didn't wreak her.
I just dismantled my breeding pens and chose a pair to keep back for show season. I'm not too happy about the wear on the pullets' heads, but I don't want to keep my best birds back from breeding either.

Entry 2 Bantam Buckeye hen
79BAB9F2-EF8F-4CF1-BF14-A7066185FA1C.jpeg
0BF2E780-47B8-4F8B-961E-3734AA4CAC81.jpeg
C481A55A-24FF-48BF-A126-B9266E34CA57.jpeg

I’m not sure whether to do my Dominique bantam that I was given for my cuckoo d’Anvers project. (Which I feel kind of bad about since he’s such a nice Dominique but he’s just being used for a d’Anvers project.) Or should I do my blue quail d’Anvers hen that I bred myself? Do you judge by the ABA Standard for ABA recognized varieties?

Are you sure he's a RIR? His comb isn't right. Maybe Buckeye?
It's a common misconception that RIRs only have single combs. The rose comb variety was accepted in 1906 (only two years after the single comb variety) by the APA. Buckeyes have pea combs rather than rose or single. Many people don't know that many common breeds come in a rose combed variety as well. This includes Anconas, Leghorns, Rhode Island Reds, and Dorkings :) RC RIR are very uncommon but they do exist (mine were purchased from Dick Horstman). Here's some info on them: https://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/id13.html

It's a common misconception that RIRs only have single combs. The rose comb variety was accepted in 1906 (only two years after the single comb variety) by the APA. Buckeyes have pea combs rather than rose or single. Many people don't know that many common breeds come in a rose combed variety as well. This includes Anconas, Leghorns, Rhode Island Reds, and Dorkings :) RC RIR are very uncommon but they do exist (mine were purchased from Dick Horstman). Here's some info on them: https://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/id13.html
Wow! Never knew that. Very interesting. Thanks for the info!

I hate to tell you but none of those are in the APA Standard. ;) Maybe try entering them in a different contest.
No clue what that is, sorry I would’ve read more. In the future would you mind making the words a bit bigger? I have dyslexia and if I read too much stuff that’s small, the same color and close together to I get stabbing headaches and the words blur together. If you can thank you.

No clue what that is, sorry I would’ve read more. In the future would you mind making the words a bit bigger? I have dyslexia and if I read too much stuff that’s small, the same color and close together to I get stabbing headaches and the words blur together. If you can thank you.
Oh I get that. I never read things if there’s too much text to be honest.
I have no control over it but this is the Standard of Perfection, the book that shows are judged by:
image.jpg

It outlines all of the breeds and varieties that are accepted and has a description for how they should look. In shows like these, the winning birds match their Standard description the most.

Oh I get that. I never read things if there’s too much text to be honest.
I have no control over it but this is the Standard of Perfection, the book that shows are judged by:
View attachment 2701948
It outlines all of the breeds and varieties that are accepted and has a description for how they should look. In shows like these, the winning birds match their Standard description the most.
Oh okay, I’ll try to find it. Might end up just looking it up

Back
Top Bottom