Obviously doing something wrong

this is what I’m feeding them

Attachments

• IMG_0616.png
    IMG_0616.png
    505.1 KB · Views: 7
Are you providing Oyster shell on the side to supplement? This should be available for them.

Are you crushing the egg shells their laying and feeding them back as a supplement periodically?
No. I have not and didn’t know to give them oyster shells… sounds a little counter intuitive but I will certainly look into it.

If all they were eating were that feed then they would be getting enough calcium for eggshells. But you said they forage for a lot of their food. With your history of thin shells they are not getting enough calcium. What they are foraging on does not supply a lot of calcium. Offer them oyster shell on the side free choice. I suspect you will soon see a difference in the eggshells.

An occasional yet rare soft shell isn't a cause for concern. We're all entitled to an occasional oops as long as it is not a common occurrence. If it were one hen having a consistent problem it would be an individual hen problem, not something you treat your entire flock for. But with your history of thin shells this is a flockwide problem that can be solved by offering oyster shell on the side.

If all they were eating were that feed then they would be getting enough calcium for eggshells. But you said they forage for a lot of their food. With your history of thin shells they are not getting enough calcium. What they are foraging on does not supply a lot of calcium. Offer them oyster shell on the side free choice. I suspect you will soon see a difference in the eggshells.

An occasional yet rare soft shell isn't a cause for concern. We're all entitled to an occasional oops as long as it is not a common occurrence. If it were one hen having a consistent problem it would be an individual hen problem, not something you treat your entire flock for. But with your history of thin shells this is a flockwide problem that can be solved by offering oyster shell on the side.
Thanks. I’m still learning. Will be adding. A roof to the coop soon, now that my pullets are old enough to add to the flock. Will be building the walls and the laying boxes soon after that. Lacey’s brood should be hatching soon, so I’ll be building a separate section to accommodate her and her chicks as well

Back
Top Bottom