chickenchicklady

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2019
Hello friends. I have a problem. My chickens are not laying eggs. I get about one egg every other day out of 20 hens. I have been giving them oyster shells, grit, protein in the form of meal worms. They have a clean coop, they have clean water, they are getting plenty of nutrients. None of them are egg bound of have sour crop. None of them are showing symptoms of any illnesses, they have a full appetite. It has been warm and sunny the past couple weeks where I live. I have checked them for mites and lice, nothing. I was getting about 3-5 eggs a day during the main part of winter. I know it’s common for them to decrease egg laying in the colder months, but is it common for them to almost completely stop? Like I said, it’s been warm, other than a few weeks ago it was in negative temps. But it’s been in the mid 40s-50s the past couple weeks, shouldn’t they be laying more? I’ve already checked to see if they’re hiding any and I have yet to find any being hidden. Please reassure me that this is normal? And if not, what else can I do?

I should Add that it’s been about 2 to 3 weeks since they stop playing. Could the drastic change from the negative temperatures to about 40 to 50° as the high be stressing them out?

No, I’ve already checked to see if they were hiding. I’ve checked in every nook and cranny. 🤦🏼‍♀️
And there’s no way possible that anything to be getting into the run or into the coop, unless it was mice?
Could they be laying somewhere strange? I know some hens are just little weirdos and like hiding their eggs for no apparent reason at times.

No, I’ve already checked to see if they were hiding. I’ve checked in every nook and cranny. 🤦🏼‍♀️
And there’s no way possible that anything to be getting into the run or into the coop, unless it was mice?
Hmm, I don't think mice typically eat eggs. I know I have mice in my coop and they've never bothered the eggs. Edit: Read below response. Apparently they can! :confused: I know squirrels can though... I honestly think it could just be the temperature shift then, as long as they're not eggbound or otherwise sick I wouldn't worry and just be patient. :)

Hmm, I don't think mice typically eat eggs. I know I have mice in my coop and they've never bothered the eggs. I know squirrels can though... I honestly think it could just be the temperature shift then, as long as they're not eggbound or otherwise sick I wouldn't worry and just be patient. :)
Mice will certainly eat eggs

Some friends had this problem. They eventually caught their rooster eating all the eggs. I have some mice in my coop but I've never noticed them messing with the eggs.

Hmm, I don't think mice typically eat eggs. I know I have mice in my coop and they've never bothered the eggs. I know squirrels can though... I honestly think it could just be the temperature shift then, as long as they're not eggbound or otherwise sick I wouldn't worry and just be patient. :)
OK. I’m not worried about getting the eggs, I just want to make sure that they’re not sick. I’ve been stressing about it lately.

Back
Top Bottom