No energy and bright green poop!

Well I tried the french toast (Hubby indeed laughed), and my hen pecked at it a bit but not much. I just wrapped up 4 days of superbooster/antibiotic and her poo is not green anymore, but still mostly runny with a bit of mushy normalish poop. She's just getting more and more lethargic and disinterested, I think she is starving herself to death. Is it worth tube feeding at this point, do I summon the courage to put her down, or do I just continue with the palliative care? Either way @casportpony I would be interested in learning more about the tube feeding thing.
Gahh i haate when they get sick, poor guys.

I've never even heard of it for chickens. What's the deal? And\or any tips\tricks for chicken rehab are much appreciated.

Tubing is great for chicken rehab. It lets you figure out what's going on...for example the bright green poop. My hen had that so I started to tube her and her poop was still green. I figured out ( with the help of Kathy) that she had an infection. When tubing, you know the chicken is getting nutrients so my chickens poop should have turned back to brown. Well it never did, so I treated her with antibiotics and it helped her. I had never heard of it. Even if you don't have a sick chicken, having all the supplies handy in the first aid kit is incredibly helpful. Kathy (casportpony) has a link for tube feeding in her signature. It has a ton of useful information in it. :)

i taught myself this thru online reading i will tell you this same thing happend to me green poop no energy  lost 1 silkie and a miniture mixed breed i saved my seabright and male silkie   i went to my tractor supply and got some{ liquid tylan 50  100ml } USE FOR 4 DAYS only tylan 50!!! it says exactly that on the bottle and also says  for cattle and swine only in small print but its great for saving our babies!!! keep looking you dont need a script i used a diabetic needdle i got at a mom and pop pharmacy cuz wal mart wouldnt sell them to me but every mom and pop would???  get a diabetic needle they are sold in bags of 5 and 10  ask for 1/2 cc 12.7 mm 30 gauge  ok so 1/2 cc  thats the volume it will hold{ it has numbers on it  from 0-50}  and 12.7 mm thats the legnth and 30 gauge thats the roundness of the needle...the middle number can vary slightly as its just the legnth  ...the dose is 5 for smaller birds and 8 for grown hens this cured the ones i was able to dose you find the middle of the breast and go to the birds left side into the breast meat i had to study a chicken we got at the store to eat at first cuz i was scared...only 1/4 inch into skin pull back on plunger just a little not much if no blood push plunger in if blood comes inside needle start over but its very rare for blood to show. theres sites and videos showing how to inject birds  i did this IT WAS A LAST RESORT TO SAVE MY BABIES AND IT WORKED I WAS HAPPY  I DONT KNOW THE CAUSE OF GREEN POOP BUT I KNOW THIS WORKS FOR MANY ILLNESSES IN MY BIRDS...NOW NOTE:: you may find ur bird is so sick it has NO BREAST MEAT this was my case the bird almost dead i injected in the leg meat what little there was it worked shes still slowly recovering... i have tried to tell yall exactly everything YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! WHEN I WAS TOLD OF GIVING SHOTS I SAID HELL NO I CANT DO THAT BUT TO SAVE MY SILKIE I DID IT I SAVED HIM....RESEARCH ONLINE IF YOU WANT I HAVE A COLLECTION OF MEDS THAT VETS USUALLY PERSCRIBE BUT THE TRACTOR SUPPLY SELLS THEM..
You say the dose is 5 or 8 but 5 or 8 what pls??

I ended up taking my girls to a vet. They had some kind of infection. Both of them got down to 2 lbs from 7 lbs. I am happy to report that both of them have recovered after mess from the vet and hand feeding them with a syringe. My question now is: one is laying eggs about every other day, the other has not layer since she was sick. Is it possible that she is sterile? I mean that she will never lay again because of being so sick before? It has been almost a year since her last egg. The vet checked and said she is not egg bound, there just weren't any in there. She just turned 2 yrs.

I ended up taking my girls to a vet. They had some kind of infection. Both of them got down to 2 lbs from 7 lbs. I am happy to report that both of them have recovered after mess from the vet and hand feeding them with a syringe. My question now is: one is laying eggs about every other day, the other has not layer since she was sick. Is it possible that she is sterile? I mean that she will never lay again because of being so sick before? It has been almost a year since her last egg. The vet checked and said she is not egg bound, there just weren't any in there. She just turned 2 yrs.

It may take her some time to lay again. She's been sick and traumatized. Give her some time. What medicine did you give your gals?

Back
Top Bottom