Next Friday I set the eggs!! So excited!

Jun 9, 2023
I think I am as prepared as I can be. I'm going to set around 13-15 eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_20240503_170506028_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240503_170506028_HDR.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 22
Congratulations!!

A lot of us have that incubator. They are pretty easy. The humidity can take a bit to get used to regulating. I would turn it on a couple days ahead of time so you can see how that goes.

Good luck on your hatch!!

:weeso exciting, whatchahatchin?
My neighbor wants more laying hens. She has my first rooster Tony(I love him to bits!!) With her Easter eggers and olive eggers. They will be cute little mixes but mostly I just want Tony's babies next door. He is a brown leghorn and the most fantastic rooster.

Also my current rooster, Captain, is a pretty decent gentleman. He's not as great as Tony but he's great at caring for his girls. He is a Delaware and his girls are Delawares and also 2 Wyandottes. He's not great at fertilizing eggs but we are going to try.

My neighbor should get a few Delawares maybe. Or Wyandels. Lol!! Wyandels!! I'm timing this hatch to coincide with my daughters last day of Kindergarten. On her first day of school I came home with the Delawares and Dottie's and she was delighted. I'm going to let her keep 2 chicks but she doesn't know this yet.

I'm testing all the things now to make sure they work. The brooder is great. Nice and warm. The Govees.. I'm trying to figure out. My AC is lying or the Govees are off. My meat thermometer is always usually matching my AC. So this is odd.

I haven't gotten to testing the incubator yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20240503_181614486.jpg
    IMG_20240503_181614486.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 1
My neighbor wants more laying hens. She has my first rooster Tony(I love him to bits!!) With her Easter eggers and olive eggers. They will be cute little mixes but mostly I just want Tony's babies next door. He is a brown leghorn and the most fantastic rooster.

Also my current rooster, Captain, is a pretty decent gentleman. He's not as great as Tony but he's great at caring for his girls. He is a Delaware and his girls are Delawares and also 2 Wyandottes. He's not great at fertilizing eggs but we are going to try.

My neighbor should get a few Delawares maybe. Or Wyandels. Lol!! Wyandels!! I'm timing this hatch to coincide with my daughters last day of Kindergarten. On her first day of school I came home with the Delawares and Dottie's and she was delighted. I'm going to let her keep 2 chicks but she doesn't know this yet.

I'm testing all the things now to make sure they work. The brooder is great. Nice and warm. The Govees.. I'm trying to figure out. My AC is lying or the Govees are off. My meat thermometer is always usually matching my AC. So this is odd.

I haven't gotten to testing the incubator yet.
That's awesome. I hope you have a great hatch. 🙂

So the incubator matches the Govee mostly. The Govee says 99.1. does that mean I need to bump up the incubator to 100 so inside will be 99.5? This is with no water also. This will be acceptable for a dry hatch?

Attachments

• IMG_20240503_194224306.jpg
    IMG_20240503_194224306.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240503_194228828.jpg
    IMG_20240503_194228828.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 0
You could try this with your meat thermometer for testing. I have it set with a hair tie thru the vent at egg height. If your meat thermometer is dead on like you say that should give you a pretty accurate range. Remember there's warm and cool spots thru out your incubator so temps vary. But the turner accounts for this when turning the eggs.
Don't mind the Bator temp. It was free/temp readout is way off.
IMG_20240313_045313.jpg

You could try this with your meat thermometer for testing. I have it set with a hair tie thru the vent at egg height. If your meat thermometer is dead on like you say that should give you a pretty accurate range. Remember there's warm and cool spots thru out your incubator so temps vary. But the turner accounts for this when turning the eggs.
Don't mind the Bator temp. It was free/temp readout is way off. View attachment 3820337
I actually stuck my meat thermometer in the vent hole to check the reading..

You know what I figured out?? I hadn't sealed it properly. The back side wasn't latched all the way down. I only discovered it because I was playing with the egg turner and noticed it was colder on the back side. I am going to have to pay close attention to this because I was so sure I closed the top properly. This is why literal dry runs are important.

I set it to 100 degrees and the incubator agreed with the Govee and the meat thermometer. All 3 are in agreement together now since I closed it properly.

I actually stuck my meat thermometer in the vent hole to check the reading..

You know what I figured out?? I hadn't sealed it properly. The back side wasn't latched all the way down. I only discovered it because I was playing with the egg turner and noticed it was colder on the back side. I am going to have to pay close attention to this because I was so sure I closed the top properly. This is why literal dry runs are important.

I set it to 100 degrees and the incubator agreed with the Govee and the meat thermometer. All 3 are in agreement together now since I closed it properly.
Ah yes, the cover is a bear with them little notches and tabs. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom