Newly hatched poults can't stand, has floppy neck.

JennieLamb

Chirping
Aug 28, 2023
HELP! We had 6 poults hatch out of 14 eggs, 2 died with in 90 min and 2 others can't seem to stand up. They keep shooting their legs strait out and pushing themselves along the bottom of the brooder on their sides. Their heads seem a little floppy too. I looked up wry neck and this doesn't seem to match up! I've been syringe feeding them watered down fruit/oat baby food with electrolytes for hydration and vitamins and they're on a heat pad now in a small tub. I rolled them in a tissue and taped the tissue to keep their legs tuck and heads elevated for the night but I don't know if they will survive. What is happening? The other 2 are just fine though!

HELP! We had 6 poults hatch out of 14 eggs, 2 died with in 90 min and 2 others can't seem to stand up. They keep shooting their legs strait out and pushing themselves along the bottom of the brooder on their sides. Their heads seem a little floppy too. I looked up wry neck and this doesn't seem to match up! I've been syringe feeding them watered down fruit/oat baby food with electrolytes for hydration and vitamins and they're on a heat pad now in a small tub. I rolled them in a tissue and taped the tissue to keep their legs tuck and heads elevated for the night but I don't know if they will survive. What is happening? The other 2 are just fine though!
Where did the eggs come from? Could be incubation problems, condition of parent stock, genetics.

Out of my twenty-one bourbon reds, that was only the case with one. Unfortunately he died. The others were a case of a starve-out which I'm working on solving. I'm not entirely sure how you can help the floppy-necks, and I think at the point at least mine was at, it was a lost cause.

Back
Top Bottom