Newly hatched duckling with hernia or prolapse?

mamaduck83

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2019
I had to rescue two duck eggs from a broody mama who stopped sitting when the weather turned cold. They were in an incubator and seemed delayed in everything. 3 days between internal and external pip and still not hatched after about 50 hours. I finally assisted. Both made it the rest of the way out of the shell in their own but one has a red bulge where the umbilical cord was. Both the cords have separated on their own and both ducklings are still in the incubator drying off. Will the prolapse resolve on its own? Is there something I can do for it? It’s been peeping and trying to move around. They’ve been out of the shell for about 2 hours. I’ll try to get a photo soon.

He
I had to rescue two duck eggs from a broody mama who stopped sitting when the weather turned cold. They were in an incubator and seemed delayed in everything. 3 days between internal and external pip and still not hatched after about 50 hours. I finally assisted. Both made it the rest of the way out of the shell in their own but one has a red bulge where the umbilical cord was. Both the cords have separated on their own and both ducklings are still in the incubator drying off. Will the prolapse resolve on its own? Is there something I can do for it? It’s been peeping and trying to move around. They’ve been out of the shell for about 2 hours. I’ll try to get a photo soon.

Hi.

Im not an expert but I had 7 ducklings hatch on saturday and same as you, one had a red lump protruding from his belly button, he was also very weak, we kept him from others until fully dry and belly button drier and looked a little less buldging, then he went into brooder with the others, by the next day it has completely dried up and today you can barely see it anymore - once he got his energy you would never have known he was weak or anything.

We didnt put anything of it but did make sure it looked clean and kept him away from others so they didnt peck at it and he wasn't knocked in to etc., we also took him straight from incubator so no risk of infection when moving about ... he got lots of cuddles whilst snuggled to us and on a wrapped hot water bottle until ready to join his brothers and sisters.

look forward to pictures x

Last edited:
Also not sure if there is anything into it but this duckling was our box baby, he was incubated in a box under a desk lamp for the first 10 days before going into the incubator, he was behind but caught up later in incubation, pipped first internally and externally but was last to hatch and like yours needed to be assisted - his membrane was too sticky and he was too tired, yolk was absorbed and shell detached also like yours , he was definitely ready to come out as ive never seen a duckling seem so relieved to be out of the egg. x

Last edited:
I'd place your duckling in a small container [bowl or cup with a soft cloth] under him until the yolk sac gets absorbs completely. In the bator. You don't want to risk it getting caught and opening because that Is it's nourishment until it begins eating on it's own and it can get infected.

Last edited:
He

Hi.

Im not an expert but I had 7 ducklings hatch on saturday and same as you, one had a red lump protruding from his belly button, he was also very weak, we kept him from others until fully dry and belly button drier and looked a little less buldging, then he went into brooder with the others, by the next day it has completely dried up and today you can barely see it anymore - once he got his energy you would never have known he was weak or anything.

We didnt put anything of it but did make sure it looked clean and kept him away from others so they didnt peck at it and he wasn't knocked in to etc., we also took him straight from incubator so no risk of infection when moving about ... he got lots of cuddles whilst snuggled to us and on a wrapped hot water bottle until ready to join his brothers and sisters.

look forward to pictures x
See, I told you that you've learned a lot! :clap

Back
Top Bottom