newly hatched chicks with mites

opihiman911

Songster
14 Years
Mar 19, 2007
I have a broody hen who got infested with mites during her last week of sitting. I've dusted the mom and her nest with DE and put 4 drops of ivomec on the back of her neck about a week ago, but she still has mites.
Her eggs have started to hatch and I so far have 3 cute little chicks huddling under moms wings. The mites are now crawling on the chicks.
What should I do about the mites and the baby chicks? I don't want to dust them again with DE because of them breathing the dust. These is also stil visable DE dust on the mom and in the nesting material. She is locked up in her own next box area. Should I give her a dust bath box with DE mixed in it? Or will the mites go away when she leaves the nest box and wander outside and start dust bathing on her own? Csan I reapply ivomec to the mom? maybe soak a Qtip and swab around her face and ears and neck area where the mites are concentrsted the most?
The eggs just started hatching so she will probally be in her box for another day or two before she get up and leaves. Any help is appreciated.

Aloha,
Cory

You need to Ivomec mom and probably babies too. 1/2 cc for mom if standard size, or 1/4cc if bantam. 1 drop on each chick should do it. I know everyone hates to put chemicals on babies, but the mites WILL kill the little ones if not treated.

Back
Top Bottom