Newbie introduction...

Calamus

In the Brooder
May 12, 2019
Mancos, Colorado
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I grew up with chickens but haven’t kept them on my own until this year.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Six. Two pullets and four cockerels (three to deal with, one to keep). Planning on introducing a couple more females.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Pullets: one easter egger, one australorp. Cockerels: Two olive eggers (keeping one of these guys) and two easter eggers, one is a frizzle.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
We have enjoyed watching our birds grow. They are beautiful creatures, and I love collecting their feathers. One of our cockerels is just starting to crow, as of this morning! Their antics are amusing, of course... and we are really looking forward to having our own farm fresh eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like to hike, cook, and garden.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live in southwestern CO with my husband, cat, and two dogs. My husband and I are both professional archaeologists. My MA thesis research was centered on ancient turkey keeping practices in northeastern Arizona… I am a bird nerd! I do plan on acquiring turkeys sometime within the next year...

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC a few months ago as a result of several internet searches… Every question I have had thus far has been answered in a thread! I finally decided to introduce myself and start posting some more specific questions about managing my flock.

360A8B8A-3023-4B56-AACE-4DC9731C19A0.jpeg
Welcome to BYC!​

Back
Top Bottom