New to the thread but not the game

BloodyBumbleBee

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2023
Obviously I'm new to the thread but I've had chickens since I was 12. My father saw chickens in the front yard of somebody's home and said, "I want to do that some day, own chickens.". Me bein a kid asked, "Why not? Why don't we have anyway.". Which sparked a realization in his mind which was 'yeah, why don't I have chickens and what's keepin me from owning some'. Not knowing what I just did or the responsibility that came with it, he decided to get them a few weeks later with me bein his little helper. I've helped my old man raise more than 50 of them at one time and continued to do so for over a decade. Always loved it even during the winter time where we had to make sure they have water constantly. Now I'm a man like my father and want some chickens of my own. My girl didn't believe me when I said I wanted to build a coop and get some. Now I'm in the middle of the process and she's stunned yet supportive. I joined this sight after knowing about it for more than half my life and want to share my experience of building a coop and raising my own flock. I hope you enjoy and even maybe give me some good advice along the way.

It's great to have experienced chicken folks join this community and offer to share what they've learned!

However, you seem a bit more enthusiastic about "loving" chicken keeping in the winter than I am. It snowed yesterday, it's 19 degrees as I type this, and I am not looking forward to daily chores at all :tongue. Spring will EVENTUALLY get here, huh? In the meantime, I will don my coveralls, hat, boots and gloves and trudge outside, all the while wishing for warmer weather.

Best wishes with building a coop and starting your own flock; keep us posted, please, and welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom