New to the Coturnix world

Huntmaster

Free Ranging
May 2, 2021
North West Ohio
My 1st Quail hatch, things looking good so far. They seem to be on the early side. Started hatching today at 16 1/2 days in. They are Jumbo Browns JMF line from AJ Farms. This is what we look like right now another madness just starting on the farm :D
IMG_2022-10-08_21-21-18.jpeg
IMG_2022-10-08_21-22-09.jpeg
IMG_2022-10-08_21-22-19.jpeg

Congrats, They look great!
Congrats and Welcome to the world of quail!
Thank You. I have hatched and raised many different birds. Poultry, Water Foul, Game Birds. But a 1st for quail and remember someone in here saying it's like watching popcorn pop when they are hatching. How true that seems to be once 1st one started zipping there where 32 out of the 60 eggs set hatched within 2 hours. A few more have hatched since then with more coming.

I'm sure there will be some questions on raising/breeding. Just getting started with them. Have another set of eggs coming from Southwest Gamebirds half browns and some whites. Looking to get a set from Myshire Farm when they start selling their Jumbo Wilds again. That should give me some strong blood lines to work with. Any feedback on those lines?

I'm sure there will be some questions on raising/breeding. Just getting started with them. Have another set of eggs coming from Southwest Gamebirds half browns and some whites. Looking to get a set from Myshire Farm when they start selling their Jumbo Wilds again. That should give me some strong blood lines to work with. Any feedback on those lines?
There are plenty of peeps on here that raise Coturnix, I myself, do not. I raise Bobwhites, ( Butler, Northern, Mexican Speckled, Snowflake, Tennessee Reds), Blue Scaled, Gambel's, California Valley, Mountain and Button quail.

I'll tag a few of those 'in the know'!!
@Nabiki , @FloorCandy , @CovidtimeQuail , @Ravenlover

Thank You all for the info. Things are looking good with this hatch 43 out of 60 set so far and a looks like a few still hatching. Not sure what final tally is yet. But satisfied for shipped eggs and AJ Farms was very helpful and gave me excellent service. Pic of happy littles morning after.
IMG_2022-10-09_11-34-19.jpeg

Finale tally is just under 75% hatch rate with 44 hatched and 97% fertility rate, only 2 non fertile eggs out of the 60 sent. All eating/drinking and running all over the brooder. No broken or cracked eggs from shipping, bought 50 they sent 60 10 extras. I wouldn't be afraid to order eggs from AJ Farms again, a little high priced but everything went very smooth. Looking forward to getting my Southwest Gamebirds eggs this week.

Back
Top Bottom